• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Other Low b 12 levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee2001

Confident
Just curious if any of you have had low b12 levels and do you think it affected your mental health? I start b12 injections and just praying this helps with mood, irritability, and feeling low. I will be on injections for life since can not absorb it I guess. My internal med doc found this and he doesn't even know of the ptsd. I see Psychiatric doc for first time in Oct and was hoping this helps instead of needing psychotropic meds... not that they are bad just nervous even to try them!

When my b12 absorption issue was diagnosed and I started treatment, it helped with depression, confusion, and issues with my memory. I don't think that it directly changed my moods, but it did make me more energetic, physically stronger, and have an appetite. Unless you are also getting blood transfusions, you should be feeling a difference within a week after your first injection.

I was diagnosed with mthfr last year which means my body needs help processing b vitamins. Since starting mythelated b supplements, I am a thousand times better.... assuming I take the supplements. If I stop then the depression gets bad quickly.

@CrowFeather
I tried some of those mytheleated B's by accident because I didn't know what they were. And I had the worst reaction to them. It was the B5. I got hyper and couldn't sleep. So I definitely don't have mthfr.

A B12 deficiency for me causes irritability, sleepiness, worsens my anxiety, and zaps my energy.

I have had pernicious anemia in the past and I thought I was dying - extremely breathless, dizzy, confused, sensation of falling even when I was sitting perfectly still on a chair, burning sensations in my hands, burning and swollen tongue, palpitations, leg pains, chest pains, tingling in my hands and feet, it was AWFUL. I took B12 supplement and improved gradually, took about 5 months. But I didn't know what was wrong with me for 4 months before taking B12 because my doctor at the time was a complete idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mfthr as well. and I take methylcolbanimin (b12) and methylfolate. My levels are pretty good right now.

I tried some of those mytheleated B's by accident because I didn't know what they were. And I had the worst reaction to them. It was the B5. I got hyper and couldn't sleep. So I definitely don't have mthfr.

That is terrible reasoning. Mythlayted vitamins are just the bioavailable form. Meaning your body doesn't have to do anything to make it usable like it does with non methylated vitamins. We know you are deficient in b12, but we don't know your b-5 levels. Methylated b12 or b12 in general can not be compared with another b vitamin. They are all individuals. You probably had plenty of b-5 in your system. B-3 is a horrible one to take in pill form for most people I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you are doing. On the other hand there are b vitamins that are generally safe to take even if you don't have a deficiency.

People with the mfthr gene defect are unable to convert folic acid into the usable form follate. Instead it causes toxic build up when we supplement with folic acid, which is added to breads, cereals ls and other food, so we need the methylated version.

This may or may not apply to you but a bad reaction to b-5 has no bearing on whether you have mfthr or not.

Thanks for your replies! Very helpful and it makes me think this will help to some degree! It is so interesting how all of these vitimins and such play a role in our neurological and other physical and mental faculties. Talk about a challenge to get it all sorted out and treated.

Reactions: C j
Not so with me.

No matter how little I take I get these reactions:

irritability, insomnia, achy joints, sore muscles, severe anxiety, and heart palpitations

Period.

I fit overmethylation with these traits/symptoms:
  • low whole blood histamine
  • high anxiety or panic tendency
  • hyperactivity
  • pear shaped body
  • tendency to be overweight
  • nervous legs, pacing
  • adverse reaction to SSRI’s
  • dry eyes and mouth
  • belief that everyone thinks ill of them
  • low motivation during school years