• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Marijuana Vs Benzo Drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the benefits of it. Unfortunately it gives me bad anxiety when I smoke it. Benzos seem to be the onl...

It's been determined that (carefully) smelling the aroma of freshly ground black pepper will almost immediately reduce the paranoia that can result from some cannabis strains. The relief comes from the terpene called pinene.

Alternatively, taking a sublingual dose of a high CBD oil before you take a toke/dose is also an effective way to avoid unpleasant feelings when using stronger strains. A higher-CBD strain will avoid any problem in the first place. This is of course dependent on where you live and what's available.

Hope this helps.

I took a benzo for severe depression at 16 and the side effects were horrible. I take pills for epilepsy daily and the side effects of that slow me down some days. I occasionally smoked mj in my younger years, if people had it and offered it; but was never a huge mj smoker. Fast forward to PTSD and legalization of mj in my state it seemed like the obvious choice for me. I mainly started with thc and it helped but I needed to smoke a lot as to not 'PTSD out'. I started to hate smoking and tried CBDs. I experimented with the doses and found that 30mg of CBD per day helps me. I also keep a joint in my purse for those 'just in case' moments. Usually anger or huge anxiety. It has helped me a lot and I feel it has saved me. Just because you ask about an alternative medicine (which is what it is) doesn't mean you want to become a druggie. I don't see myself as a stoner but I do love the stoner culture. I see myself as a patient that uses medicine, which happens to be; marijuana! :) I also use the lotions for my nerve pains in my hands and wrists. It has many great uses, and comes in many forms!!

I used to use cannabis for ptsd but after a few years it just stopped working for me. Now it only makes me eat and sleep. I've been taking low dose Ativan daily for about six months, usually at night and I haven't increased my dose or felt any bad effects if I miss a day. I don't even want weed any more. Everyone is different but for me the Ativan is working well with no side effects. I hardly ever feel anxious anymore even when I'm not taking it during the day. I think getting the good quality sleep every night is healing.

Certain kinds of pot works pretty good for anxiety. If I ever deviated however, it just causes anxiety.

Also I know of no pot that does jack for panic disorder. Smoking pot during a panic attack sounds like a terrible idea!

The right kind of pot is safest for anxiety.

I prefer diazepam for ongoing anxiety.

If panic disorder rears its ugly head Clonopin. however, Xanax works harder and faster. Xanax is riskier.

I absolutely hate Ativan. It can nullify the hugest of panic attacks though.
It’s just that, when it wears off it’s just hard to deal with. You always want another dose in about 45 minutes which is just a pain in the butt and not a good idea!

I had a serious addiction to prescribed xanax and i was quitting and was suffering major withdrawals that had me climbing the walls so I got my medical marijuana card and was smoking little bits of indigo and it really helped to allieviate the anxiety of withdrawals. After I was able to become stable I quit smoking pot and am back to normal It served a purpose for me at the time but not for me long term because it made me paranoid too much.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with both of these drugs and how they compare. I think these d...

First off, I would like to say that Cannabis in and of itself is not a drug, it is an HERB. It would have to be mixed with a chemical in order to be considered a drug. Anyway, Cannabis is the only thing that helps with my PTSD. I refuse to take psychotropic meds, because of the risk of suicide that comes with it, as I have in the past attempted to commit suicide while on meds, as well as when I forgot to take the daily dose. With Cannabis, I don't have any withdrawal effects or symptoms and it is totally not addictive. If I didn't have PTSD, I would use it like once, maybe twice a month.

I have had negative experiences with benzos (my body doesn't like them) but I am a big pot-head th...
Maybe you should try edibles or vaping. Vaping for me definitely lasts longer. I could vape at night, and the effects last all day long.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, I would like to say that Cannabis in and of itself is not a drug,
I think you’re confusing terminology a bit.

Lots of herbs are drugs. Whether medicinal, recreational, or both.

Most of them aren’t psychtropic; antipyretics, cough expectorants & suppressants, anticonvulsants, digitalis, etc. so forth and so on. Although many plants have multiple properties, depending on which part of the plant is used, and how, as well as more than one effect (pain killers are often psychotropic, for example, but not always).

What makes Cannabis Sativa & Cannabis Indica buds worth ingesting? ARE their psychoactive properties >>> they’re very much psychotropic drugs.

Most of the Cannabis family (100+ species in Cannabaceae) doesn’t have psychoactive properties. We use them for other things, like the super fiberous but otherwise boring for making hemp, or some -like hops- for flavoring.

Psychotropic = Mind & mood altering
Drug = Any substance that ingested causes physiological effect (beyond nutritional).

Being an herb doesn’t make it inherently safer. Tobacco is an herb. Poppies are herbs. Foxglove is an herb. Hemlock is an herb.

Last edited:
......”not addictive” (for you).

It's not addictive at all. Some people just don't have a life outside of doing cannabis all day, but it still doesn't make them an addict. They don't NEED it or have withdrawal symptoms...They do it because it helps them pass the time. Cannabis does not have any chemical properties in it to make the user become addicted, but.... I am not here to go back and forth. I know what I am talking about. I know people with a VERY addictive personality, and they use Cannabis like once a month, or once every other month, and they use alcohol EVERY day. Alcohol has chemicals in it that make it addictive. So do prescription meds..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back