• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Marijuana Vs Benzo Drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re confusing terminology a bit.

Lots of herbs are drugs. Whether medicinal, recreational,...

To be considered to be a DRUG, it has to be mixed with a chemical, but... Like I told someone else, I am not here to go back and forth with anyone. I know what I am talking about. It is not my responsibility to stop someone from believing the reefer madness that is out there about this medicinal herb.

I think you’re confusing terminology a bit.

Lots of herbs are drugs. Whether medicinal, recreational,...

What makes cigarettes considered to be a drug is the fact that it is mixed with chemicals that makes it addictive... Same thing with prescription pills/meds and alcohol.

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes cigarettes considered to be a drug is the fact that it is mixed with chemicals that makes...

Ok, you’re waaaaay off.

Just because cigarettes have something added to them to make them addictive doesn’t mean the same holds true for everything else out there.

You just push your opinion (which isn’t fact) and then say you’re not here to argue? That’s a bit closed minded!

You’re set in your opinion, but again, your opinion isn’t fact.

MJ is a drug. Lots of things that grow naturally in the wild are drugs!

To be considered to be a DRUG, it has to be mixed with a chemical,
Sorry, that's just not true. Not sure where you got that, or what definition of 'drug' you are using. A drug is any substance with a pharmacological effect. Cannabis is one such substance.

Personally, I don't have a problem with marijuana. I do have a problem with misinformation. Defend marijuana all you want - but don't do it by making up nonsense and promoting non-facts.

Ok, you’re waaaaay off.

Just because cigarettes have something added to them to make them add...

They call it a drug because the Federal Government made it a Schedule I drug when it is a medicinal herb and must be mixed with a chemical in order to be considered to be a drug. This is not just my opinion. So, by this ass backwards reasoning that the Federal Government has, that means Sage,Chamomile, Valerian root and other medicinal herbs that have cerebral effects are all drugs. lol Your opinion matters, I guess... But I don't believe everything the government tells me, either. Apparently a lot of people here do.

But I don't believe everything the government tells me, either. Apparently a lot of people here do.

It’s no indovidual nation’s government, nor it laws. It’s science. Basic science.

All medicines are drugs.

You have no problem with marijuana being called a medicine, but you have a beef with it being called a drug? This doesn’t track. Or make any kind of sense.

I have actual proof that Cannabis in it's natural form is NOT a drug, and WHY the Federal Government decided to label it as such, but this forum is not allowing me to add links in my post.

It’s no indovidual nation’s government, nor it laws. It’s science. Basic science.

All medicines...

Lol okay

f*ck sake.

@Drowning82, any substance changing your body chemistry = a drug.
How it's used? Therapeutically, as medicine, in different ways? A different matter. Still a drug. Just used as medication for this or that.

Subject to legislative & what kind of legislative? Place dependent, time dependent, culture dependent. Still a drug.
People's opinions on it? Still. a. drug. Just one people's opinions on vary.

That term 'drug' is itself neutral. It only says it works on bodies, in specific ways.
Nobody here is passing judgment, dragging a whole lot of unrelated tangents in, and so on. No need to cling to that projection. Friday was simply pointing out the obvious classification fact. (So was Joey, but I noticed you keep having a beef with Friday's posts so.)

@Drowning82 - I'll just echo what others have said.

You're talking about schedule 1 and the government. I'm simply saying that marijuana is a drug. Drug is a neutral concept. It's not "ooh, the big bad drug and the government is trying to keep this oregano away from the public"...just, it's a drug.

A drug (per medicine) is anything that can be ingested in any form (eaten, swallowed, absorbed, inhaled, injected), that is intended to in any way affect (treat, cure, mitigate, alter, diagnose) disorder or disease.

Drugs (as in, just say no to) are generally considered to be controlled substances that a government has labeled as illegal for unregulated consumption or sale.

Your links (here, I'll be helpful) are about why cannabis is not a capital-D-Drug, or should not be regulated as such.
Link Removed
Cannabis is NOT a Drug
I have actual proof that Cannabis in it's natural form is NOT a drug,
Whether it's a plant with roots in the ground, or a plant that has been dried, cannabis is a small-d-drug. It is ingested (in various forms) with the intention to affect (treat, mitigate, etc) disorder or disease (pain disorders, cancer, mental illness, epilepsy, and more).

Separately, it can be ingested to alter one's physical and mental state, recreationally. Many drugs work this way, both those that are most effective in organic (plant, mineral) form, or those that are synthesized in a lab. Cannabis is one that had been grouped together with other Drugs, where it might not have belonged. Hence, the movement towards legalization, that was - PS - entirely made possible in the US by the recognition of cannabis as a drug (small d), for medicine, and not just a Drug (big D), for recreation via mind-altering.

I'm really not sure why you would want to call it not-a-drug. Many, many people with PTSD get some relief by using it, and their ability to use it as medicine is (I'd say) nothing but a good thing.

Is it chemically addictive? Sorry, science says, "unknown". Science is still trying to understand the endocannabinoid system (ES) in the human body. Why do we have the same stuff in us that plants have? That some plants have been known to have for a very, very long time? Still, mystery. They are getting good at understanding all the functions the ES participates in, and connecting those to the known cannabinoids (they probably haven't labelled then all, yet) in cannabis.

I like this article in Leafly for a nice, pro-cannabis overview of the concept of addiction in cannabis use. It's from 2015, but covers the basics well. A quote from that article, a statement given by a professor of social work - so, this is the psychological take on addiction:
The language of addiction, dependence, and disorders is one thing when you talk to scientists and it’s another when you talk to the public...Addiction results from a combination of biological and psychological factors that contribute to conditioned behavioral patterns that are very difficult to stop or resist.

So, yes, it's possible. Addiction is not understood as the automatic progression, in cannabis use. I think that the medical community would agree that opiods, for example, are almost inevitably addictive. Cannabis, like benzos, can be used in a way that does not allow it to turn into addiction. Or, it can turn into addiction. With benzos, they understand the mechanism of action for that addiction, and it can be described scientifically. With cannabis, because it's entire mechanism of action is still being discovered, it's not possible to give a complete scientific rationale for addiction. The jury is still out on that one.

Repeat: this isn't a debate about whether cannabis is a "bad Drug" or an innocent herb. Medically speaking, it's a drug, that's a fine thing to accept - and looking at it that way is nothing to do with the US war on schedule 1 drugs anymore, really. Now that it's been embraced by and fought for in the scientific community, it's only a matter of time before the rest of it sorts itself out.

And there is no denying that it is a powerful substance. That's my real concern with not accepting it's status as a small-d-drug...one can get the impression that it is as innocuous as, caffeine, say. It's not. It is a psychotropic, and it can break your brain. Does it? Not often, no. Can it? Yes, 100%. I think many people know this anecdotally, but there is also science to back it up. Not government-funded science designed to label cannabis as "evil"...international science, looking to further understand the biomechanics of the brain, the endocannabinoid system, and the intersection with various mental illnesses.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with both of these drugs and how they compare.
I have smoked pot all my life and am just now starting to take benzos. What I would tell you is do extensive research on which strains are ok for ptsd because that is a dangerous road to go down when you have ptsd, as it can cause psychosis, anxiety, paranoia, etc. Benzos don' do this to me at all. The addictive qualities are a major downfall but they are just necessary sometimes cuz they work.
Another plus on weed is usually if I'm having an episode of extreme anger or depression, smoking a bowl almost 100% will tone down the seriousness of the situation. Hope this helps.

I have smoked pot all my life and am just now starting to take benzos. What I would tell you is do ext...
I have been on weed since 23 years olds till 46 years old at 2016 with no problems I started to get bz xanax on that year 2016 It''s a devil stuff there are a lot of withdraw symptoms. I can't relief any second all the time.I'm in hell now. If I were in your shoe I will not take bz stuff right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back