• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Childhood Me, myself & i...and more (or: my life in parts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryanne

New Here
The beginning is always a good place to start! However, I am having trouble knowing where the beginning is. My life, rather than running on a line with a definite beginning point, wanders in more of a circle...no definitive beginning at all. Just jump in anywhere on the path and you will come around to all parts!
To be continued...

Hi Maryanne
Sounds a lot like dissociation. Feeling like you are in parts, like the parts of yourself and your life are disconnected somehow, is a normal part of trauma recovery. It's your body's and mind's way of segmenting off the parts of you that experienced the trauma from the parts that still need to function in the world in order to survive. I went through several years of experiencing my self as separate people who experienced separate parts of my traumatic childhood, along with other separate adult parts or people who handled my daily functioning. That's just another way our brains have of coping with traumatic experiences. The more traumatic they are, the more fractured and segmented you feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back