1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Medication Quantities - Are Large Doses Normal?

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by Andre, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andre

Andre Active Member

I do not know precisely how to word this. Hydrocodone, morphine sulphate, methadone, all sorts of things seem to be prescribed in terrible quantities. I can remember having a prescription to take six 500mg pills a day, damn 3g. Does it ever seem to anyone else that prescriptions just get larger and larger for no real reason?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

You're on morphine and methodone at the same time??? Did you have an addiction to morphine? Just asking because methodone is usually given to replace morphine, codeine or heroin in someone who's addicted, so if you're taking both... well, I'd want to get a second opinion about that.

When I was on the antidepressant fluoxetine, they kept upping my dose. I started at 5 mg and everytime the psychiatrist saw me cry or get upset he'd raise the dose. When I finally went off it I was at 100 mg a day. I think it's common for the doctors to raise your dose if it's not helping, or else add more drugs. I don't agree with it though.

4. Andre

Andre Active Member

I am sorry. I was not very clear. I have had the hydrocodone. My eldest brother who was injured after I was and had several vertebrae crushed was given larger and larger prescriptions of morphine sulphide and then later methadone amongst other drugs over the same years. He said to me he had pills so large it was like for a horse, I think they started to give him 1-2g but I do not know the certain measure.

5. Andre

Andre Active Member

Had it right the first time.

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Doctors are idiots Andre, simple as that. They have sold out helping people traditionally using effective long term methods, for simply putting people on drugs, thus patient turnover is higher in a day, thus kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies are larger, thus they are fatter in the pocket, go about their daily lives, whilst the patient gets unhealthier.

7. TinCanCommando

TinCanCommando Member

I second that, Anthony.

8. motorjack

motorjack Active Member Premium Member

yeah i was on some outrageous amounts of pills but gave them up as they were worse for me than the ptsd...who new and third on anthonys piont..mj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar