1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Medication Side Effects Question - Could It Come On This Quickly?

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by Lisa, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Im finding it hard to type at the moment. How quick can side effects come on?

Because I took Citalopram at 9.30am, and by 11am I started to feel very, very sick. It's now 45 minutes later, my stomach wants to wretch and Im not sure im seeing normally either.

it's either the medication, or last nights mince.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this SSRI anti depressant drug used for anxiety and have experienced this, or if generally people have experienced such sudden nausea or side effects so soon after taking a medication?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

By the way some of you guys might know this drug as Celexa, Lexapro, escitalopram, Lexaprin, Cipralex, Sipralexa, Entact, Seroplex, Cipramil etc.

4. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Late response but hope you are OK now. I hope it was only a panic attack and nothing serious, even though those feel beyond serious. I have been hauled off in ambulances over new meds. Just know these can leave us loopy when scared of new drugs if you are fearful of them.

5. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Thanks Veiled. It seems to have passed now THANKFULLY!

Good point about fear of drugs... I have been particularly stubborn over the years with drugs. I didn't appreciate being forced to take them by being hospitalised, and I take a somewhat 'last resort only' and extreme caution with psychiatric drugs because I've seen the dark side of what they can do, especially if given the wrong drug,! I dunno, i've just never been comfortable with the idea, mix that with my bad experiences, lack of trust of psychiatrists because of bad past experiences as well and you get one incredibly wary person of the whole issue.

I don't want to be on this medication, but I've made a promise to myself to do whatever it takes to get better. And to me a small part of that meant taking someone's advice and giving up my stubborness and going to the doctor and just seing if something will reduce my anxiety in order to help me deal with my issues head on.

I have been very nervous of the effects because some of the stuff I've read people saying about it hasn't been good stuff, and I'm still not sure if I did the right thing by agreeing to try them?

As for the sickness, I'm still not sure if it was side effect, or as you suggested a panic attack - just know I felt so ill, sick, my stomach was wretching, then my eye sight went and I went dizzy.

Just so so glad it's passed and it's not (at the moment it seems) going to last all day long.

Lisa.

6. sparta21

sparta21 Member

Hi Lisa. I have had awful experiences with most meds I've tried. SSRI's have been the worse. They give me horrible stomach upset, the sweats, and make my body feel as if I had the flu. This doesn't happen to everyone, and for some people these effects pass. They didn't for me. I'm using Adderall right now and it helps me get my arse up and moving. It's a stimulatant usually used for adhd. It helps with my depression a bit too. Anyway, I hope you find your med to be helpful. I have the same concerns you do when it comes to meds. Hope this helps. Thanks.

7. permban0077

For it to be short as this it sounds like a good ole' attack. They suck but normal. If people pipe in here you would be amazed at how many have panic attacks from new drugs. Hubs says I jinx myself over anti anxiety meds until they have to give me such a high dose it knocks me on my ass. Valium is candy. ADs I end up in ER and off except zoloft it took a while to get off (I did not freak out on it as I was put on it before my med phob when I found out a hub had a boyfriend my first time!) and against docs orders even though I was very ready to off myself (good doc huh?). They have to dope me up in ER to bring me down. I do not do meds well myself due to bad reactions so now any pill gives a bad reaction. My Xanax induces an attack now and makes them worse when I think they can get no worse. I am having to take it every few days for about a week now. I took it for a couple years at a high dose no issue and still get sick now from it, go figure since was addicted.

It is certainly an element of trust with giving up control. Now you know this will not hurt you or kill you so after taking it a few more times you will be OK. For me any way I have to take a pill at least a few times and then get better to handle doing it. Some send me so over my docs would not go near again. Others just made me freak but not so far they would pull me.

It is OK to need drugs. It does not mean you are broken or giving up. It is a necessary stepping stool. You will learn what you need in time and what you can live without also. PTSD is a work in progress. Some people do great on some drugs others do horrid at. I suggest never read the bad as you will feel those! I have to force myself to never read a side effect. Really go out of your way not to read it. Zoloft was the worst thing I could have ever taken but a buddy is living a great life with PTSD on it now. The nice thing is most people actually do well on these drugs.

What you describe are some of my symptoms of panic attacks. I recall effexor. Oh lord that was the worst one. I had no color to my eyes when puking and dizzy. It was all black and pupil. After ambulance trying to force air (bad bad combo) and cops figuring out I was not a high meth mom it came to light it was panic pure and simple. Panic makes me puke, poo, dizzy, faint, blown pupils, scream, cannot walk and wobble held up, you know a good panic attack... They suck but know it is fear. We can fight that one just by giving into it. I can give info on that as it has been about a year since if you need. I am trying to do it all over again myself.

8. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Some meds I have taken in the past have put me into panic attacks and anxiety attacks for days on end. HATE 'EM with a passion. I am really med sensitive so I just about refuse all meds.

I wonder if taking it just as you get into bed for the night might help???? Might be worth a try...

Hope you feel better.

9. permban0077

Wendy, for me anyway at bed time is the worst. I am left alone with my thoughts, wrong time for new meds as I can imagine a 100 different things that can go wrong. But never know what works for you unless you try I guess.

10. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Hi Sparta, Veiled, She Cat -Thanks for the replies.

Well this is the second day. Good point about taking it at night... I think I'll see how it goes with taking it in the morning because so far it's not too bad, but then I might switch to evening and see what difference it makes if I'm finding side effects.

So far I haven't had the same reaction as yesterday which is good. I have been able to eat this morning but am light headed and shaking, which I had yesterday too. And I've got that almost spacey, dull sight? But if it's not the nausea and wretching and everything I had yesterday, then I'm a little happier.

Veiled, your description of your panic attacks do sound similar to yesterday for me (apart from screaming). But I'm still finding this hard to get... because you see, as much as I know I have severe anxiety, I never thought I ever had anxiety attacks? I thought that was when you hyperventilated, and I'm not sure that happens to me? So what is an anxiety attack? And can you have that kind of panic attack without feeling scared? Is anxiety attack and panic attack different or the same? I only got a bit scared yesterday when the nausea hit, because i didn't know if the pill wasn't going to have me in a state all day. Info on all this would be good, veiled thanks :)

It's been good to get some feedback on meds from you guys as I don't have anyone to ask here in 'reality' who is on meds. Anxiety attack for DAYS She Cat! Well, I'm grateful I'm not that bad!

11. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

Hi Lisa,

This thread caught my eye as I've just started taking Citalopram...though, I'm only supposed to take 10mg at a time for the trial period (The doctor knows I'm not thrilled about meds...but then again I thought I'd never agree tot take any)...Anyway even with such a samll dose I've already expereinced soem of the side effects...I'v efelt like I was goign to vomit thoguh I didn't...also a bit spaced out...loopy really...Also...just after taking it in the morning I had this weird smile on my face and seemed "happy" but then as the day wore on I got really depressed again...I also had vision problems...very briefly though...it kind of seemed like things would get out of focus and then back again...so just wonderign if any of htis happens to you withthis drug (obviously everyon'es gonna react differently but still)?

Also...it lists panic attacks as possible side-effects...as well as shaking etc...and it says to contact your doctor immediately if any of that happens or changes in vision, increased suicidal thoughts etc...

Also...both the doc and the pharmacist siad it's better to take it in the morning and be consistent so if you take it in the morning keep doing that...unless i tmakes you really drowsy etc ...then, obviousl y evening is better. Hope that helps. Take care.

12. kers

kers I'm a VIP

I'm glad the attack passed, Lisa.

I think one thing that is important to keep in mind when it comes to psych meds is that every single person reacts differently. I had read that my SSRI often caused insomnia-and it makes me drowsy(ish), thank god. You don't know until it gets into your system to see how it works with your own special brand of Lisa chemistry!

Good luck with it. I hope you're feeling better soon.

13. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Oversleeping?

Hi RD, Sorry I didn't see this post sooner... thanks for the post :) You described almost exactly what I experienced when I first started taking them. I'm on 20mg every day, and I got the nausea thing the first day (but never had it again after then). The spacing out, and vision problems are what I had yes... also trembling, more anxiety/jittery at first. But all of these wore off for me within 3 weeks. Thanks for passing on the advice of pharmacist and doc. I take them in the morning, and though I don't find they make me drowsy after taking them... but I am simply sleeping WAY too much! Granted, because I spent so much time sleeping, or tired, or trying to do what I wanted to do that day with less hours to do it in, I am not AS anxious as I was. Though it seems to be replaced more by a general depressed state.

Hey kers... yeah I agree, each has special brand of chemistry, thus reactions.

Which brings me to a new question in relation to this. I need some advice/opinions... Okay, for the last month I have been sleeping ridiculous amounts. 12 hours a night on average, and then sometimes naps in the day for a couple of hours. Sometimes I sleep 12/13 hours, sometimes just 10 but need a nap in the early evening. At first I thought it was depression as it started about 2 weeks after I was assaulted, and those 2 weeks I was the opposite - high alert, little sleep, little eating emotionally all over the place. Then I went to lots of sleeping, lots of eating, waking up depressed and then not wanting to get out of bed anyway, some suicidal moods. The suicidal moods, over eating has levelled out a bit more now. I wake up depressed a lot of days, but some I don't now. I also don't feel the "I have nothing to get out of bed" feeling all the time anymore. but the sleeping issue is persisting.

I thought it was just depression. But I'm doing better than I was with that, I'm not on rock bottom so much anymore. So I thought it could be my brief relapse into smoking skunk every day again. But since Ive stopped that a few days ago I'm still sleeping stupid amounts, and it is depressing me that I wake up 12 hours later, haven't heard my alarm, and haven't started my day before lunch when I plan to get up early to try to get some routine back into my life.

Is this oversleeping issue related to the Citalopram, or an after effect of the assault, like a depression or something? Could Citalopram have this effect nearly 2 months after taking it? I can't try to get on with my life if I am sleeping through most of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar