• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Meds For High BP Or Anxiety, Mixing With AntiDepressant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2quilt

MyPTSD Pro
I just started Prolonged Exposure therapy, where I write the gory details of my worst trauma, and how I remember it using 5 senses. (What I saw, what I smelled, etc.) Because I am doing this therapy, and because my roof is leaking, more snow is expected, I have two water leaks in my yard from broken mains and pipes, the toilet is not working, my printer died, etc.,(all in the last 3 days) I am full to the gills with anxiety.

Because this therapy goes on at the VA, and I am triggered when going there most of the time, my blood pressure is higher there. Also, I usually have some kind of confrontation there about my lousy quality of care, and anger raises BP.

The VA wants to put me on BP medicine, and I want to ask all of you if you have experience with BP meds, or anxiety meds getting along with your antidepressant meds. The VA has given me medications in the past that caused dangerous interactions, and I don't exactly trust their judgment any more.

I take Cymbalta. I would like some help with anxiety, short term, while i am doing this painful and very stressful therapy. I am asking for anecdotal advice; of course nobody here is treating me as thier patient, you are not held liable for any medical errors you make by providing your comments, yada yada.

2quilt -

I have been on BP meds since I was 21 yrs old. I'm now quite a bit older (lol) and it requires 2 strong meds to keep my blood pressure down. I'm also on valium, which ironically also helps keep my pressures controlled (yeah probably a stress thing I'm sure). I have been on some older anti-depressants in the past (for chronic pain) that did not effect my pressures, but I do know that some of the newer ones can (Cymbalta being one). The line is how high is your blood pressure? If it's borderline, I would think you would be ok - but you should keep it monitored. I don't believe you would have any adverse reactions between the meds (of course your doc and pharmacist should be aware of all meds you are on to verify). My blood pressure rushes into stroke level unmedicated and even medicated I have peaks -so for me, it's an issue of an anti-depressant increasing my blood pressure, not whether the meds would counter-act or not work together.

Beta Blockers (such as propanolol) can be prescribed for either increased BP or anxiety. Since you have both anxiety and raised BP, just one medication could help both symptoms. As far as I'm aware, beta blockers, should not cause any interaction with your current medication.

I don't have any experience of BP meds but have you discussed increasing your dose of Cimbalta. I take an SSRi & when we were approaching some difficult weeks of therapy therapy 3 mths ago, my psychologist suggested an increase which proved to be very successful. My anxiety during therapy & day-to-day is much more manageable & my sleep has improved.

cherryblossom has some good advice....I tried the beta blockers, and I can't take them, (side effects)...Hopefully you will be able to......

I've taken propranolol while taking Zoloft. The only side effect was a little dizziness once. A friend of mine takes Cymbalta and Xanax "prn" (as needed).

I prefer the beta-blocker route since it's not addicting, nor does it make me sleepy or depressed (like a tranquilizer can, for me).

-Dylan

I take prazosin, a blood pressure drug, along with two types of antidepressants. I take the prazosin to help with nightmares. I have had no problems with interactions.

I take Micardis for the BP and Pristiq as a antidepressant, no problems with them mixing. When I have to deal with anything really truamatic I usually use Diazapam as well.

Whenerver my medication is changed I always read up as much as I can on the internet before I start it, just to reassure myself, then if there's any questions I can phone my doctor and ask the questions.

I've had to take BP medicine since I was a teenager. (darn those family genetics) I've tried a variety of antidepressants over the years while on BP medicine, but have used Effexor XR for a number of years now. I've also taken benzos at the same time. They can definitely be combined.

Hey, I have been experiencing similar problems, but mine were caused by the lack of THC which I gave up 7 weeks ago.

The Zoloft I was on caused my BP to go up and my anxiety levels to go through the roof. My heart rate was sitting on about 100 bpm resting.

The GP tried Inderal, with no real joy. In the end a small dose of Valium (5 mg) 3 times a day gave me the relaxation I needed, so I could work on the reason for the anxiety.

The Inderal is now working.

I am on a beta blocker as well (along with a ton of other stuff). The one they used for me is Atenolol (sp? generic) and so far it has been wonderful! I was actually prescribed it for tremor caused by anxiety along with prozac (SSRI) and colonzepam (Benzo). I have found that the beta blocker has seriously lowered my PTSD symptoms and reduced my need for colonzepam. The only slight trouble I had was the beta blocker was prescribed PRN for the tremmor and going off and on it did not work so well for me... so I asked to be switched to every day and all is going well.

Best Wishes,

Liz H.

I have hypertension that pre-dates my trauma, so I have been on meds for it for a while already...my doctor noted a slight increase in my pressure despite my meds (not enough to be worried about) while I was doing the hard parts of my exposure therapy. Since I stopped exposures in September (wow, its been THAT long already!) my Bp has completely normalized again.
I am prescribed Lorazepam and am supposed to take it as required for anxiety - I've only taken it a few times because I'm stubborn and I refuse to rely on meds for assisting with the anxiety, but I have them just in case. There was no problem with mixing the two.
I agree that its completely dependent upon how high your pressure actually gets and going for the dual med (beta blocker) would be your best shot to treat both symptoms. Talk to them about it - its your body, not theirs and you need to have a say in your treatment regimen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back