• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Memory and attention problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

acoa82

Learning
I do not know where to ask so i ask here. I want to ask people who suffer from c-ptsd, or ptsd, or childhood trauma if they have a memory problems, difficulty learning new tasks, attention problems, trouble with concentration and focus (for example in a new job). I mean I'm not retardet and I don't know if I suffer from ADHD, maybe I do. Many times I'm so scatterbrained. Could it be caused even by mild stress ?? I read somewhere on the Internet that childhood trauma can cause such problems. Do you have such an experience ?

I feel like it has a significant impact on my life. I'm confused, I don't know what to think about that, I feel dumb, lost. Even people from my surroundings feel confused because they think I'm smart enough but sometimes I act like complete retard.
Anyway, I suffer from c-ptsd, I'm an acoa and I have ocd.

Since I have ADHD and multiple brain injuries, I'm not sure I'm the best person to be answering you, but I will anyway. Take with a grain of salt.

I do have learning difficulties if I'm incredibly stressed. Attention difficulties point to my cPTSD synptoms flaring up. That's not rare, from my understanding. Focus and attention become difficult, and this makes sense biologically and psychology-wise.

I'm guessing you aren't retarded. I've been friends with retarded people and it definitely would show in your writing if you were. I've noticed that the worst thing is the feeling stupid part, because it feeds into the frustrations and makes things feel worse. I'd recommend being kind and patient with yourself. Tell yourself that you're smart and just having a hard time.

Once sharp as a whip, organized, conscientious and extremely well versed in current events, I am now forgetful at best, unreliable and extremely selective in my ability to concentrate. I started my own business at the same time as being assaulted, so my need to meet the usual requirements you are referring to, luckily shifted as my cptsd escalated.

I was quite triggered this last Saturday and today realized I had forgotten to shower, brush my teeth, eat or keep up with my business communications since. This new self still takes me off guard and those that knew my old self have long since given up.

But, I find pleasure in aspects of letting go of social expectations. In a way, my cptsd keeps me honest, allowing no room for the bullsh*t I once considered small talk.

You are not mentally disabled, but you may need to procure ways to have your life match your new ways of taking in information. Just my opinion.

Be gentle with you whenever possible.

Many times I'm so scatterbrained

I use the word scatterbrained a lot when describing my focus/memory problems lol.

My attention and memory are just trash. I can't even count up to 30 in my head without messing up. I always mess up multi-tasking. I use a lot of reminders for things I need to do, or appointments I have to go to, etc. Anything past a week ago or so is fuzzy, or difficult to call up from the memory banks.

My trauma lasted for years, domestic violence/sexual assault. Before that all happened, I had really good memory and focus. I did great in university. I'm still adjusting to having total shit memory and focus. Getting distracted is so easy, and all the time I will forget what I'm doing. Grabbing something from my bedroom often takes more than one trip.

For me, it’s been progressive. I guess with my age. I used to have CRS, (can’t remember shit). Now I have CRAFT, (can’t remember a f*cking thing)

Yes, I do believe that we have issues with memory, organization skills, staying on task. Some days it’s worse than others....

I do not know where to ask so i ask here. I want to ask people who suffer from c-ptsd, or ptsd, or child...
Me too, aoca82! I've got c-ptsd and I'm fine as long as there are no noises, movement, or smells to trigger me. The minute the adrenaline pumps, I'm done, or should I say dumb. Very frustrating, very embarrassing. I haven't found a trick to fix this yet, but if i ever do, I'll be sure to let everyone here know about it. In the meanwhile, hang tight and be good to yourself, ok? Please let us know if you figure it out.

my brain has turned into the Bermuda Triangle.... information goes in, and is never seen again. And some days, my brain just gives me the silent treatment.

Seriously though, my brain is so bad that I dropped out of university. My perfect gpa went to hell, and so did my honors degree. Last month a psychologist asked me about a particular trauma, and I couldn't remember it... complete blank.

I have both ADHD & PTSD. They’re very, very, very different things.

Even though some of the symptoms or expressions are the same.

As an example, I can’t find my pants.

ADHD - I’m doing 40 other things at the same time (4 major things, with 10 parts; or 10 smaller things with 4 parts); thinking of 12 completely different things (only a few of them related to the 40things I’m doing). Of course I can’t find my pants. They could be in. my. hand. but with everything else going on I’d have to reach for something and not be able to grab it because I’m holding my pants to realize it. And even then? I might just set my pants on the top of the open door -not even aware I’m doing so- depending on how urgently I need my hand... and not “discover” my pants hanging on the door until an hour later and the damn thing won’t latch. The f*ck? How the hell did those get there? :O_o: Or? I could well be in the car, pants on, before I realize I not only found my pants, but put them on, & high tailed it out to get stuff done without it even registering.

PTSD - Blink. Blink. 4 hours later. Pants? Right. I need my pants. Dammit. Why did I walk in here? <crushing emotions> 2 hours later. Do I still even want to leave the house? Not really. I don’t need pants to go to bed. Wait. I’m not going to bed. What was I doing, again? Blink. Blink. 3 hours later. Pants! That’s right. I need my pants. I need to.... not... be... having... this... panic... attack. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Iron self control. <Shaking. Exhaustion. Rage. Despair.> f*ck me, I need to take a shower. Again. Okay. What was I doing? Right. Looking for my pants. Blink. Blink. 4 hours later. I need to take a shower. Again. Then find my pants.... ZzzzzzzZzZZzzzzz

ADHD is more about too much going on.
PTSD is more like even one thing is too much.

Last edited:
You are not alone, yes I experience everything you spoke about. Getting worse with age and my personal pet peeve is being in a brain fog so that I forget important things that should not be neglected like losing my favorite pair of levis for an entire year only to find them hanging in my closet that I had searched through furiously many times and getting into a panic when I cannot find my phone only to realize I am using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back