1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Memory Loss

Discussion in 'General' started by jade, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade

jade Active Member

Memory loss is a really big problem. My short term memory worse than my long term. Over the last couple of months even I have noticed a marked decrease in my short term memory. I can tell you what year it is and what month but I can't keep track of the days of the week or the date of the day.

When trying to explain something to my oldest son by the time I get done explaining I have lost him somewhere along the way. If I ask him what he thinks about what I've just said he'll look at me and say I don't understand. So I try to go back and explain it to him again but by that time I forget what we are talking about. I get frustrated with him for not listening and very, very frustrated at myself for not being to remember. Please tell me that in time I can get some of this back?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. NakedAnxiety

NakedAnxiety Member

Jade, I have the same problems with memory... my wife and daughter are constantly saying, "you said that yesterday," or "I already told you that." I will be working and suddenly forget what I'm in the middle of doing. And I don't know why I haven't learned to stay in the kitchen when I put bacon on because once I leave, the next time I think about the bacon is when the house is filling up with smoke.

What I believe is happening is that a mind affected with PTSD tends to want to stop all the intrusive thoughts so bad that it begins to numb up and not want to store anything to the memory. In PTSD, the memory acts like the enemy so a natural reaction might be to over-compensate for this by attempting to get by in life without your memory being used too much.

I don't know if that makes sense, but that is my general feeling on it.

4. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Active Member

space cadet

Jade,

I agree with NA. Its the mind compensating and kinda taking a rest. From the research I have done and talking to people it seems like the brain sets different priority levels to things. Those things that stress us or seem to be more "life or death" have priority over those who dont. Since our brains stress so much during these situations it needs to rest and shuts off for a bit, almost on cruise control. I have the worst problem with my short term memory. There isnt much you can do but kinda rest your mind every now and then, and as hard as it sounds that will keep you from spacing out at unwanted moments. Hope my two cents help.

5. nov_silence

nov_silence Well-Known Member

I have noticed that the more anxious I am, the less I am able to hang on to short-term stuff. It takes a lot of hard work for short-term stuff to improve... and even then it can fluctuate some.

6. jade

jade Active Member

I understand where your coming from but for me I can't shut down. Even while sleeping I don't shut down. The times that I do shut down are when I med. myself before going to bed. Don't like doing that as when I do take my xanax you can't wake me up. Since my husb. leaves for work before the rest of us gets up he isn't available to help wake me up. I don't really like taking the xanax due to fears of dependancy. Already had to be weaned off vicodin. There are times I ask my husb. to just knock me over the head to put me out.LOL

7. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

oh, my memory has been awful---driving, realizing i don't know where i am, wondering even what state i am in, forgot the name of the agency my husband worked for for the last 18 yrs.(all day, did not remember) always forget what i'm doing, have to leave my curriculum out for school, just to try and remember where we were, forget about events, get names mixed up, say the wrong word for something, and know it, but not be able to fix it. argggghhhhhh! it did get much better when i started the wellbutrin, but i still have a lot of trouble with it.

8. jade

jade Active Member

Cookie it sounds like our memories are twins. I have trouble getting my words to come out in the right order also.LOL

9. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Active Member

Jade, the med thing is scary. I felt the same about xanax so no longer take it. That was the only thing that would help me "shut down" and go to sleep. I felt I was getting dependant and wouldnt attempt to fall asleep without it. It takes me a bit longer to get to sleep but I feel better not taking the meds. I try to tire out by doing some kind of physical activity. I cant beging to tell you how much that helps. Calms you, releases stress and helps sleep. I havent had a chance to get out as much as id like but its a begining.

10. jade

jade Active Member

DD, Thanks for all the advise it is taken and appreciated. At this point any little bit helps. Yes the possibility of dependency is always lurking in the back of my mind. You would think that the three kid would be enough to wear me out to the point of exhaustionLOL. But seriously, now that winter is here it will be even that much harder to do just about anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar