• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Million Dollar Headache With Landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 541

So, in Feb of this year my landlord hit the lottery for a million dollars. Within a couple of weeks I started noticing that they were getting rid of a ton of stuff. Putting out pieces of furniture and bags and bags of trash for the garbage pick up.

They haven't said a word to me, but their nephew lives upstairs over me and he's been communicating with me, so I know what's going on. Landlords bought a house last month, the closing is the end of this month and they are selling this house. Ok, I get it. I don't get the secretive shit, but it is what it is.

So today, I went over to pay my rent for next month. Yes, I pay my rent 2 weeks early, I have for yrs. so he tells me, they are moving and selling the house. Told him, I already figured that out. Then he said, " I hope this isn't going to be an issue with showing the house to prospective buyers". I told him I hope not either, but I don't work full time, somedays I'm home by noon as he very well knows this. I said, that I wasn't about to leave my home every time the realtor wanted to show the house, and I wasn't about to sit outside in my PJ's either. I'm in bed by 8pm, and I get up @4 am. So late nigh showings won't work either. And I DO NOT get out of bed on Sundays.

He looked at me and said, "Well, I hope it doesn't come to me asking you to vacate the premise and move so that I can sell the house." I told him, "Go ahead, give me notice, I will then have 8 months to find a place." He asked what I was talking about, so I explained. He can give me a notice for a 30 day time period to move. I don't have to leave. At this time, he would go to the court to petition for eviction, which would take 3-4 weeks for the court to notify me with a court date. The judge could give me up to 6 months to vacate. With my health and mental health issues the 6 months would be granted.

What he doesn't know is that along with all of this, I would then call the health board and he would be given a list of a couple of violations that are here. Minor, but violations just the same. I would also when in court explain the fact that he did not put my first and last months rent in an escrow account. There was no certificate of occupancy when I moved in, and the health board violations. The judge could order him to PAY ME triple my security deposit because he failed to open an escrow account.

So, the anxiety is up, and now I most likely will have to f*cking move again. Not because of him, but because if and when they do sell, the new owners will up the rent, and I can't afford paying more rent than I am right now. So, while I may have an edge with this landlord, I won't with a new one. If the new owners up the rent, I will have to move, or pay the new rent. I'm f*cked!!!! I'm just to f*cking old for this shit.....and have way to many health issues to deal with this shit.... sometimes I just f*cking wish I'd die in my sleep. It would just solve everything.....

If push comes to shove dragging it out might be in your best interest because that will give you time to look for a new rent at price you're paying now.

Believe me I feel your pain re: moving. It just plain sucks. Getting a uhaul, finding people to help move big items....its exhausting

Hugs @She Cat

@Heather There is no way in hell I'll move myself ever again. @almost 64, with all of my health conditions, there is no way I physically could do it. I moved two times in 2 months 2 1/2 yrs ago and it almost did me in, so there is no way I could do it now.

I'll just wait and see how all of this will play out. There is nothing I can do anyways, so I've pretty much just said screw it. Anxiety is there, and I'm just trying to accept it and ignore it. Keeping my mind busy, and doing what I can.

Well, 10 days ago when the f*cktwad told me he bought another house, was moving and selling this house. He also told me that he wouldn't be putting THIS house up for sale until the end of May. I thought ok, that will give me one more month to look for another apartment.

Yeah!!!!! Get home and the FOR SALE sign is on the front lawn. My biggest concern..... IF, he let the realator in my apartment to take pictures so they can post them online, I will lose my mind. I keep checking the realtor's website and so far nothing..... if he did, this is such a violation of my trust and the law. I'll f*cking make it miserable for him....

I also just told my landlord when I got home, that I want a 24 hour notice from them when they have a potential buyer that wants to look. f*ck f*ck f*ck!!!!!

You can't control whether or not the house will be sold. You can control how you feel about it. Been through the sale of my own home with buyers and photos, and had two friends going through the sale of their rentals at the same time. One who's partner just had cervical and back surgery.

You are approaching this think like it's the Alamo... however the home owner has a right to sell. Would advise you to reassess your perspective on this. The lack of activity even here on the forum (220 views 5 replies) should tell you something.

Last edited:
I never said anything about him selling the hose as it isn't allowed. I don't begrudge him buying a new home. It's the fact that I was given a f*cking 10 day notice of his intentions that has me upset and yes, PISSED? I'm 64 with a shit load of health and mental health issues, and don't feel like trying to figure out where the f*ck I'm going to live.

Honestly I don't give a f*cking rats ass how many replies I get. This isn't a popularity contest, and I'm only interested in those that have something of value to say. Not someone that try's to degrade how I feel, or points out how many people looked or replied to a thread.

I have EVERY right to be upset, and to feel the way that I feel. I'm really sorry that how I feel,it isn't how YOU would feel.

Sounds like you're hell bent on a mega upset rather than manage the emotion. That's okay too but as things are rolling along you may want to make contingency plans for relocation.

Ah shit! Where's the thread ban when you need it??????

@She Cat - I just wanted to say I understand the feeling. I'm a renter, my whole life. It's only happened to me once - it could not have been a worse time, I had 30 days to vacate, and I was f*cking pissed and just felt...dunno. Invisible. Powerless. Trapped. And I wasn't dealing with the medical load that you have. It is a truly shitty situation.

Are they marketing the property as having rental income? Any chance you can get grandfathered over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back