• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Million Dollar Headache With Landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ladee The mobile home parks around here... We have no rent control what so ever, and the parks here are driving everyone out with their stupid rent hikes. They charge well over $300 a month here and some of the places are freaking dumps. A few are nice, but the rents are even higher, and then you have a mortgage payment, heat, electric, cable, blah, blah. I couldn't afford it!!!

I just called my attorney. He's a friend too, and he yelled at me to calm down. He didn't really yell, but you know!!! He tried to tell me to think positive and that maybe the new owner would want to buy the place with tenants in place and good tenants are like gold, because most people don't give a shit and they wreck places.

God, I need some freaking drugs to calm down and to get some fracking sleep!!!!!!!

Well, it's been another night of the toss and turn game with very little sleep. My anxiety is freaking out of control.

I've never been in a situation like this before, where I don't know if I will be homeless or have a roof over my head. Now that this place has sold, and current landlord isn't saying much of anything about the intentions of the new owner, it's pushed my anxiety even higher.

I just have this feeling that the new owner, being this big time contractor, that he will come in here and change everything. Possibly even from a triplex to a single home again. I just have this feeling...

So trying to not be negative and trying to think positive. It's nearly impossible with the f*cking anxiety. I'm asking people I know for personal recommendations and if they know of anyone that is renting places.

Trying to get everything in order. For the past 2 weeks, I've been cleaning out stuff that I don't use, or haven't used in awhile. Took down my aquarium and brought the fish back to the pet store. Now I'm trying to sell it. I've cleared out a lot, but still have more to do and get rid of. I did this all 3 yrs ago, but you collect shit without even realizing it.

Honestly, I'm too f*cking old and I f*cking hurt too much to deal with this shit. Wish I hadn't woken up this morning and f*cking died in my sleep. That's just how I feel.....

I'm not sure why people keep telling me to "not worry". REALLY????? I've had 2 weeks of upsetting news. First that the landlord is moving and selling and then OH, by the way, I SOLD the house. Then he won't tell me the intentions of the new owner!

No, I shouldn't worry at all. There are NO apartments in my price range, unless I want to move in an area where the gangs, drugs, shootings and buildings are falling down. Sure, I'll take the leap! WTF!!!! I could be homeless in a month or 2 and I shouldn't be upset???

I'm depressed, angry and pissed. But apparently I not supposed to have these feelings!!!!!!

Just met with the potentional new owner. He was here with a plumber and electrician and they were trying to figure out how to separate the heating system and electric as my apartment and the one upstairs are combined on one heating system and the electric are both combined on one circuit box. It's a f*cked up system.

So, he would need to put in another oil tank and furnace for the upstairs apartment and have the electric all separated. Costly, but he has $$. So, I went down in the basement and asked to speak to him when he had a minute.

He said he wouldn't know until he got all the estimates in as to if it would be affordable for him to do this or not. If not he said he might just leave things as is. I told him that this was very upsetting, and that I've only had a 2 week notice from my current landlord as to what's going on, and that there are NO apartments available in the area. He agreed and told me that he would try and work with me, but couldn't promise anything. Gave him my number and asked that he call me when he knew what was going on.....

Ok, so now it's the f*cking wait game. As this is becoming more real, my anxiety is spiking....f*ck!!!!

@She Cat, no one is saying to not have your feelings.. your anxiety is causing you to flash on those of us trying to be present for you... we have no magic words. or no place for you to rent to make it all go away.... of course you are having these feelings.... he said he would try to work with you, but was not going to lie to you and say something he couldn't back up later..
You let your situation be known.... he knows you are upset and have no descent place to go.
It is time for some self regulation.... none of what you are doing is helping or preparing you in case you do have to move.... and yes you woke up this morning.... because like it or not..... you are not done here....
Getting yourself calmed down is priority.... sending you hugs whether you want them or not... and support...

@She Cat I think people underestimate how absolutely terrifying the uncertainty is, when you don't know where you'll go, whether you'll have a roof over your head, what you'll have to do. It's the waiting game that is so awful, because you literally can't move forward on anything you NEED to move forward on until you get an answer. I can also empathize with how impossible it is to find an affordable place. People keep telling me, "Oh it's no big deal, you still have time to find a place, there's loads of apartments." But these are people who have enough money to afford an apartment, and I don't. There really aren't many options out there for people on a low budget. Your anxiety is totally understandable, warranted even, despite being unhelpful. Wish I had better advice on how to deal with the anxiety.

@ladee Have I "Flashed" on anyone here??? I've had to defend my feelings with one member, but I don't think I've been rude or screamed at anyone that has posted. I am more or less venting. Do I have the right to be upset???? In my book YES, I do. I don't know if I have to move or not and I don't know where I would go if I have to move.....

There are many variables going on here.

1). Landlord could leave heating and electric as is, and jump my rent up way up. I can't afford to pay anymore than I am right now.

2) He can go ahead an separate both apartments and put in separate heating systems. If he goes with OIL as there is already Oil heating. I can't afford oil heat. Right now heating oil is fairly cheap, it's under $2.00 a gallon. It's a 250 gallon tank, so do the math. $500 for a tank of oil. In the northeast where I live, a tank will last about 3 weeks. I've also seen oil as high as $4.00 a gallon, that would be $900 for a tank of oil that would last 3 weeks. Oil prices are something that constantly go up and down.

3) if he goes with gas then he has to put in 3 new furnaces, remove 2 oil tanks and have all of the heating redone. I doubt he will choose to go that route.

As I have stated before there are NO apartments available in my area other than drug and crime infested where the buildings are litterly falling down. Maybe that wouldn't bother you, to live in something like that, but I could not!!!!!

So, am I depressed???? f*ck YES!!!!! Do I have anxiety because I could be homeless soon??? f*ck YES!!!!

@Casey_03 Well, both of us still do have the law on our sides which if push comes to shove, we will get extra time. All of this is anxiety provoking. The "not knowing". If you'll have a roof over your head is a tad unsettling, to say the least.

@ladee. No need to apologize, I wasn't angry at you or anyone here. The people in my life, that are secure, have homes, and money. They are the ones to tell me to "think positive, don't worry" and do not understand why I would be worried or upset. Yeah, homelessness would be such an awesome thing to have to look forward to!!!

I'm just pissed at the circumstance that I find myself in, at my age, with all the health and mental health issues. Golden yrs????? Really???? Whoever said that, had to have been completely out of their f*cking mind!!!!

Or more likely, they had money.... not scraping by like we have to.... Had my landlord not cut me a break, I would be right there with you and Casey.... No one to stay with , no where to go, not enough money to rent an apt here.... so I do understand.... I would have been homeless after Hurricane Rita if I had not moved here when I was offered by FEMA to relocate.... financial help was available, but I have never gotten back on my feet since then and that was in 2005... I live in a ratty Winnabago that has no running water, no stove, and no fridge... it is a place to sleep... a roof over my head... I found it setting in a pasture... found out who owned it.... he said he would sell it for $600, I offered him $200 and he took it... it was $175 more than it was worth...cost me more to have it moved to the park... So I could never find another place I could afford...

I have been as panicked and angry as you are after Hurricane Rita, not only traumatized, but had no where to go and so much chaos at that time, only a few months after Hurricane Katrina.... too much , just too many of us displaced, no money, my van was destroyed in the storm.... so I do understand.... and I am sorry again if I stepped on your toes.... never meant harm... thank you for accepting my apology...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back