1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Mood Swings - Angry Then Hyper Happy

Discussion in 'Dysregulation' started by batgirl, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Maybe it's because I was just in the hospital and had surgery, I'm not sure, but I've been having these wicked mood swings for 2 days. I'll be really angry for a couple of hours, then suddenly I'm happy or hyper even, then I'm angry again, then happy again, then depressed, etc. I've had about 5 swings in the last 24 hours. It's really weird for me as usually, I'm fairly constant/consistent in whatever emotion I'm having. Other than anxiety attacks, my mood doesn't normally change so drastically or quickly.

I'm finding it exhausting, and I feel guilty because my family is getting the worst of it. I'm trying really hard not to snap at them when I'm in one of the "bad" moods. And I'm apologizing so much that I don't even know if I should bother anymore... I mean if I keep doing it obviously I'm not trying hard enough, right??

Anyways it's odd because it's just not me.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

Hey Batgirl,

I wouldn't doubt that all the 'excitement' that's been going on would bring on mood swings.
    Extra stress = extra moodiness
    Right now you are stressed and of course you are going to get frusterated!

If your house was filled with strangers... they would be getting lashed at too! It's just that the people you are interacting with are your family, so unfortunatly they are the ones who get to see the 'anger'. But I know they love you enough to see past your rage, and realize you are just overwhelmed right now.

The worst thing to do is let guilt eat at you.

4. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Thanks YA. You sure make a lot of sense!!

Yeah I feel really guilty!! :( At least though, my family doesn't tip toe around me, they do tell me off right back and tell me I'm behaving badly, they're not doormats. They put me in my place. I still do feel bad though. And I'm not sure about the stranger thing... I'd like to think I would be the same with strangers, but I'm pretty comfortable with my family and I think I might be treating them worse as a result. Anyways I hope I calm down soon... just had another major shift since I first posted this thread... bleah.

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

No, it does not mean that at all! You are reacting in a very expected way with what you have been dealt. I am sure they are happy you are showing emotion. You have been through a whole new ordeal. Give yourself some time sweetie. And do not beat yourself up for it. You are doing great interacting again here. You are being social and up. To me that is amazing in it's self!

6. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

hon *hugs tight*

I've been doing the good old emotion rollercoaster atm too. There really isn't anything to do but try and get through it.
    I mean, your mood is something that, while able to be altered a little, is what it is. There isn't a sure fire way to stay happy or normal and keep the bad away.
    Give yourself tome and they become easier to manage, easier to breathe through the anger.
    Also hon, give yourself some time out now and then.

7. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm likely being too hard on myself. I just want to get back to "normal", whatever that is...

8. nugget

nugget Well-Known Member

Humphrey sends you a bid HUG

9. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

LOL thanks Humphrey!