• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Mortified In Waiting Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mortified.

After my sessions, I wait for a while in a back waiting room, collect myself, then get on with my commute home. My therapist knows this. My therapist suggested it. My appointments are close to the end of the day so often this room is empty and sometimes the maintenance people even accidentally turn off the light on me, thinking the room is empty.

Today I went into the waiting room after my session to collect myself. Sat down. Eventually the lights were turned off on me, but whatever (there are some windows). Someone else - perhaps another therapist at the clinic? - came in and turned the lights on, noticed me, and asked if I was okay. I said yes and they left.

But then they came back with a GIANT paper sack with snacks and bottled water and put it near me and asked again if I was okay and if they could call someone for me.

I know that this person just wanted to help, but I'm so mortified. It makes me feel insecure about sitting there, about being disorganized, about not being able to actually walk out onto the street after a session like a normal person.

I would probably be mortified, too, but I like @Rumors idea of reframing it to be that someone is caring and wants to make sure you are okay. Also, maybe you can talk to your therapist about the experience to find out if it is likely to happen again or a way to prevent it.

I don't handle people being nice to me very well, either.

For a lot of different reasons.

I don't like people treating me badly, but I know what to do with it. I can handle that. And most of the time handle it well. Learning how to deal with people treating me well? Is very, very challenging.

I agree that the person was trying to help. But I'm still mortified. Plus, not to be dramatic or difficult, it disrupted my after-session-ritual of regrouping, which was honestly the hardest part.

Plus, it makes me feel like a crazy person that in the afternoon I'm in a really high-powered, public position, then three hours later am such a wreck that strangers don't think I'm capable of getting myself home. (Did things really look that bad?).

Therapy sessions are hard. I think that a lot of us function OK in public most of the time but crash and burn after therapy sessions. I always have to sit in my car for at least 30 minutes before I can drive home. I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back