1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Motivated myself to do 3 projects in one day

Discussion in 'Accomplishments' started by Notamorningperson, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Notamorningperson

Notamorningperson Active Member

I’ve been teaching myself graphic design for a few months now. My grandma called me last night saying tradesmen like mechanics and machinists have started wearing rubber wedding bands. And I happened to have a 3D printer so when my grandma voluntold me to make some rings, I jumped on it this morning, and made 3 ring designs by lunch time! I’m just glad I found it in myself to put out that work!

I’ve finally found my motivation to make things, something I haven’t had in years. Usually if I’m designing something it used to take a couple days for one project.

What’s something awesome you’ve done in record time recently?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Rosie11

Rosie11 Active Member

Thats awesome Charleh! Sounds like a really cool idea!:woot:

Rain likes this.
  4. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP

Whoot! That is really awesome and what a great idea. I know there a quite a few industries where they can't were metal wedding rings.

Rain likes this.
  5. enough

enough Well-Known Member

I cant wear a rubber or plastic ring for the same reason I cant wear a metal one either. Any ring is just a handle for the machines I run to grab me by. The problem with metal is more than just the catching and pulling of the finger, it also tends to stay smashed once smashed and has to be cut off, not a fun thing to see.

Some of the guys I work with have tattoos of their rings.

A really great design would be one that will fall into re-assemblable parts if smashed or pulled violently, kind of like the break away ID badges some people wear around their neck. Either that or one that was cheaply replaceable and came in a box of 10, with weak points that made it unable to transfer any power to the wearer.

You are right, there is a market for this. If you could sell the idea to a major jeweler you would have a one client business with no marketing headaches, making copies of their real thing rings out of disposable, frangible materials.

bento likes this.
  6. enough

enough Well-Known Member

Something awesome I have done in record time lately?

at work- I solved a manufacturing problem that several of us had studied for 2 full days with no results while standing in the shower the next morning. I had a full plan by the time I got to work and a model that morning. Paid my own salary for the year in the 10 minutes I spent in the shower.

At home- doing it right now. I had to get a new heat pump installed. That meant removing and replacing the old copper lines that carry the freon from the outdoor heat exchanger to the indoor heat exchanger, and that meant removing sections of ceiling and wall in our utility room for access. I am literally sitting around waiting for drywall mud to dry right now. Sent the wife out shopping with our son who lives in the next town over so i can make a dusty mess in her laundry room, and if it all keeps drying well as it has I will be back out of her way by tonight, hopefully with textured walls and the washer and drier back in place.

Paint is next weekend. I hate painting.

bento likes this.
  7. bento

bento Active Member

Rain likes this.
  8. enough

enough Well-Known Member

thanks, but it aint nothing really. You do what you have to do and thats all there is to it.

Made the drywall deadline today, started at 4 am with exposed studs and a hole in the ceiling, insulation in a trash bag in the garage. Replaced the insulation, hung most of a 4x10 sheet and patched the ceiling, started mudding around 7 am, 2-3 hours to dry between thin coats of mud (thats the secret, dont put up all the mud at once, thin dries faster and gives you time to see what has to happen on the next coat), textured the ceiling with the last mix of mud around noon, and just finished cleaning up the texture mess, 5:30 PM. waiting for my dinner to finish baking and feeling like I earned my keep today.

And I spent the day pretty much alone and I am not in a depressed funk like I would be if I had just sat and pondered the unsolvable problem of PTSD. Time well spent.

Notamorningperson and bento like this.
  9. bento

bento Active Member

Dude.....you rock!! I got a little Ryobi cordless 4 pc kit to get repairs done. Still sitting in the box
    a month later. I have a hard time motivating. So wow again, good show! Said with admiration and envy :)

Notamorningperson and Rain like this.
Show Sidebar