1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movies About PTSD

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by mortiis31, Sep 23, 2007.

1. mortiis31

mortiis31 New Member

Hey everyone. I am a big movie and book buff, so I am seeking some films about PTSD. I am looking for anything really which concerntrates on a person with PTSD, the way they handle it etc.
    Anything really, just want to compare some things to what I do, see how others react etc.

Help please?
  2. fdhionly

fdhionly New Member

Here are some movies about trauma survivors. I suggest you plan to have someone to connect with in case they trigger you:

"Prince of Tides" , "The Deer Hunter", "Nuts", "The Burning Bed", "An Angel at My Table"
  3. mortiis31

mortiis31 New Member

OK

Hi there thanks for that. seen all of them except for The Burning Bed, which is quite hard to get over here.
    Any others?
  4. Jim

Jim New Member

Jarhead is a good one. No direct mention of PTSD but wouldn't be surprised if some of the boys in that didn't get it. Certainly shows how one could get it from operations. My daughter, who has PTSD, likes "Jacob's Ladder". She believes the character Batman has PTSD. Says "Batman Begins" is the best at showing his trauma. The wife says "The Jacket" is another recent one, though rather surreal.

Jim.
    BloomInWinter likes this.
  5. Zamboni

Zamboni New Member

Here is a movie

Antwone Fisher
  6. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

battlemind.org have lots of videos on actual PTSD aspects. Obviously military oriented, though certainly applicable to anyone with PTSD as it focuses on the symptoms typically.
  7. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

The Last Samuri with Tom Cruise
  8. cactus_jack

cactus_jack VIP Member

Rambo is an early one.
  9. mer

mer New Member

K-PAX with kevin spacey. IMO. be sure to watch the entire disc and listen to the music/song at the very end of credits--"safe and sound". k-pax is moving, sad, funny, triggering, but worth it. i use it to screen potential new therapists with the question of whether they think kevin spacey is an alien or psychotic.
    mer
  10. Seeking_Nirvana

Seeking_Nirvana New Member

"Saving Private Ryan" "Good Will Hunting" "White Oleander" "Mystic River"

I love "Prince of Tides" and now I know why I've always been drawn to it.

Peace
    Tammy
  11. nathan

nathan New Member

a recent one would probably be reign over me. it doesnt specifically mention ptsd but its about a man who loses his family in 9/11, so its pretty well rooted in it. Jim, thats a very interesting point about batman, i never thought about him having ptsd, but it certainly makes sense.
  12. veiled

veiled New Member

Legends of the Fall has a character (Brad Pitt) with PTSD. Just happened to watch this the other night (again for the first time of course ha ha).
  13. nathan

nathan New Member

fire in the sky deals with ptsd. although its based on an supposed alien abduction victim, it is based on a true account. of course, whether or not he was actually abducted i could not say. the book might give you a better insight as it is written from a first hand perspective by the man who was abducted. i believe the movie was altered a bit, how much though im not sure. hope that helps.
  14. Anna5

Anna5 VIP Member

Has anyone seen "The Fisher King"?
  15. Archus

Archus New Member

I definitely agree about Batman having PTSD too, especially after having read "The Killing Joke." The Joker outright accuses Batman of having undergone some traumatic event and that dressing up and fighting crime is his way of coping with his pain over this trauma.
  16. dljwhitewolf

dljwhitewolf New Member

the book "when rabbit howls" by truddi chase. It is about a mind that fractures into multiples due to excessive trauma. I find reading such things becomes a bandaid to me since I went thru worse and did not split.
    It also speaks of the things that is never mentioned the most, what actually is endured during child abuse.
    It may trigger some, so know this while reading, and know when it is a good time to put the book down.
  17. batgirl

batgirl New Member

I've seen The Fisher King, but I think Robin Williams' character in the movie had schizophrenia, not PTSD.

I still maintain as my dad (Jim) said, that the whole Batman series is a really good example of characters with PTSD. Especially the latest movie "Batman Begins" is a great portrayal of this. When you think about it, most of the characters, heroes and villains, have experienced great tragedy which has turned them into these "freaks", and they must choose whether their trauma makes them heroes and champions for humanity, or whether it makes them bitter and angry and want revenge. Batman saw his parents shot to death in front of him; Catwoman and The Joker were both betrayed then murdered in horrible ways and came back to life; Robin's entire family was killed in one day; Batgirl lost her parents in a car accident; The Penguin was abandoned by his parents and left to die... I could go on and on really. Practically every villain in the Batman series has experienced some degree of trauma.

Another comic book type movie, but I would say V in V for Vendetta has PTSD as well. He was imprisoned and tortured in an concentration camp for several years before escaping to become a recluse and exacting revenge on those who harmed him. And Magneto from X-Men is a Holocaust survivor.
  18. hodge

hodge New Member

I totally agree, Evie, re. Batman Begins. I saw it, as well as at least one other Batman movie, post-ptsd and all the examples really struck me, as well as the representation of each characters' choice on how to be in response to trauma.

I saw The Fisher King, but that was pre-ptsd, and I was really caught up in the allegorical elements.
  19. Archus

Archus New Member

It's like what they say, you can tell a lot about a man by his enemies (I actually learned that saying from Spider-man comic books, that Ezekiel guy. Oh, I'm such a nerd).
  20. Anna5

Anna5 VIP Member

Never mind about the "The Fisher King". I shouldn't have posted it in the first place.
  21. ilim

ilim New Member

Black Snake Moan. Christina Ricci has some hardcore PTSD. Very very triggering scenes, but a good, strange movie.
  22. nathan

nathan New Member

justin timberlakes character also seems to have it.
  23. GR-ass

GR-ass New Member

The Hannible books.

Hannible lector started off killing and eating his victems (the ones who killed his sister) in Hannible rising.
    All through the books it is evident that he is hiding more in his Mind Palace then what is evident (at least till he has a conversation later in the last book about what happened.).
    In it he books he shows classic PTSD symptoms reguarding his child hood. It isn't as well translated to the movies.
  24. veiled

veiled New Member

Reign Over Me really moved someone here, the main character is PTSD and the movie seems to revolve around it. I have not seen it yet. Not sure I need to be moved that way.
  25. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt!

OH hell V, you can say my name! It was me who was "moved" by Reign Over me. Let's just say.. I've been crying on and off for a few days. I'm determined to go and buy the movie.. I just know that I will bawl my damn eyes out for a few days when I watch it! I can not even explain how it touched me. It seemed to bring up some weird shit that I didn't even realize I was upset about... good movie though.

bec