1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

My best friend refuses to be my friend if i don't take medication

Discussion in 'Anonymous' started by Tero, Dec 3, 2017.

1. fiwob

fiwob Anonymous

I'm feeling really depressed and suicidal. I had no one to talk to so i spoke with my best friend who's been there for me. I think I've worn her out though. She said if I don't take my medication then she doesn't want to be around anymore. I know it's because it's too difficult, but without her I have no one and that's fine. It'll just make suicide easier. I won't have to worry about someone else. I don't know what to do.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Omol

Omol Anonymous

Did she assume you are on meds when you are not?

Or are you on medication and refusing to take it?

4. Cemise

Cemise Anonymous

Do you have a therapist?

5. fiwob

fiwob Anonymous

I was on medication for a while, but I had to stop because the side effects were too unpleasant.

6. Oneke

Oneke Anonymous

Do you have a therapist? Maybe it would be worth discussing trying a different medication? Maybe you could ask your friend why she said that? Did she think the medication you were on helped? Did you think it helped (other than the side effects0?

7. Fewatur

Fewatur Anonymous

I'm guessing the key issue for your friend is that she is scared about how suicidal you are feeling. She doesn't want to lose you, and she might be just trying to help in whatever way she can. I lost a friend to suicide. It wrecked me. I've also been suicidal too. You did the right thing by reaching out.

If you are working with your doctor to address the suicidal thoughts and any medication issues, then you could tell her that you and your doctor are working on if and what medications are appropriate. If you have made the decision that medications are simply not for you, then it might be enough to tell her that you are taking steps in another way, like working with a therapist or etc.

If you are not getting any treatment, then that's the real issue here. If that is the case, what is holding you back?

whiteraven likes this.
  8. Hebih

Hebih Anonymous

It isn't up to your friend as to whether you take your medication or not.

It is, however, up to your friend to protect herself from your pain. It may be overwhelming her. Certainly it would be if you are suicidal and speak about that. I know. I have done the same.

Meds, no meds, therapy, no therapy, it is up to you to balance yourself. There will be consequences for each though.

LilLynx likes this.