• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My bff is best friends with the person who assaulted me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you like, not argue here in this thread? It's about the OP, and you seem to be forgetting that.

Don't mean to sound rude, either. G'day!

When I told my best friend that her being around him made me uncomfortable and frustrated, she told me if I really felt assaulted I should seek counseling and help instead of forcing her to stop being friends with him. What should I do? I don't want to lose a friend over a horrible boy.

Leaving aside the thread (I've read the first page of replies, but nothing since then).

My understanding of your situation is this:

You had a complicated, difficult experience with a boy, and you don't like him anymore. His behaviour since the sexual event is not the behaviour you would like to see, and causes you ongoing discomfort. Your best friend likes him, and didn't take it well, when you said you'd feel better if she and he didn't spend time together. You want to keep your friend, but you don't want to be getting hurt, either.

Based on that understanding, here is my suggestion for what to do:

Do go and talk to a counsellor. It sounds like your friend made that suggestion in an offensive way, and that's unfortunate. However, the first piece of advice we give everybody who arrives at this site is "Talk to a therapist." There are a lot of good reasons for that - they can have a conversation with you in private about the issues that matter to you, and they've got training and experience and supervision that helps them be helpful to you.

Some other thoughts:

As someone who was once a 17-year-old boy, I have an amount of sympathy for the boy in your story. I don't think what he did was smart, but I can imagine that he was doing what he thought was the right thing. You faked an orgasm, so he probably thinks that you liked what he was doing, so he's confused by the whole experience. That confusion and difficulty that he's experiencing is not your problem - you have no obligation whatsoever to help him with that. You're a teenager, which is confusing and difficult, you're experiencing some real difficulty right now, and doing the right thing for yourself is going to be difficult enough, let alone doing the right thing by someone who has hurt your feelings.

That said, your friends (and your ex friends) are also teenagers having a very confused and difficult time of things. It's not their job to keep you safe from all sources of harm; they're busy trying to work out what the right things for themselves is, let alone doing the right thing by you when you've hurt their feelings (which you have done).

So find someone who isn't feeling hurt and who isn't going through the most difficult and confusing time of their entire lives, and do your best to let them help you. Ideally someone who has nothing to win or lose from any decisions that you might make. Probably a counsellor or therapist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back