1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

My Dog is Sick and I'm a Basket Case

Discussion in 'Social' started by becvan, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Well it says it all.

I tried to switch cougie's food, as she is losing way too much on the homemade stuff (no matter what I put in it or how much I give her) and it backfired.

My poor dog. She has got diarrhea in the worst way. I have cleaned both floors (upstairs and main) plus the carpeted steps a few times now.

Found out I could give her Pepto, so I lured her into drinking that (no easy task.. guess there is something she doesn't like!) and she gets only water for the next 24 hours.

Then, joy oh joy, I get to try switching her food again. ONE TABLESPOON AT A TIME.

OMG, just shoot me. I'm just vibrating. I do not handle her being ill very well. I was in a full-blown panic trying to calm her stomach down just an hour ago.

*pulls out hair*

bec

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Oh, Bec, I'm so sorry about your dog. I have a really bad time when any of our animals are sick, too. Our senior cat has some old cat diseases now. He's doing better on the medication and diet changes, but for awhile, it was daily throw-up. Just awful. So I know what you're going through.

Is your dog older? Does she have any health problems other than the diet change reaction?

4. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Bec,
    so sorry to hear about this poor cougie, poor Bec I know how much cougie means to you and will send my prayers to him, i'll have Ryder and Mouse say a doggie prayer to! Keep us up to date on cougies progress, hugs to you and cougie.

5. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

Hi Bec, so sorry to hear about what Cougie is going through. Hopefully she will pull through ok. I know it's tough on you too. Hang in there both of you.

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Have you been able to take Cougie to the vet? No idea what is going on? Is it just diet? I don't want my little web buddy sick. I don't want you sick either because I know Cougie is your world. Please hug Cougie for me.

But please see if a vet will set up a payment plan or something. I have done payments before and it is not unheard of.

7. becvan

It's just a combination of the heat and me trying to change her food. She's really sensitive to food changes. Like nasty sensitive!

So she is doing better. The pepto is working, thank god. I'm more calmed down now.

She won't be getting any food tomorrow.. as I don't' want her dehydrating in this heat.. and then Friday we will try one tablespoon of new food to a full bowl of homemade.

Thank you all so much. Yes, don't know what I would do without my coug!

Thanks for the prayers guys.. think she needs them right now. (just got another pepto dose.. man is it hard to get her to drink that!)

bec

*Cougie getting lot's of hugs and just soaking it up!*

8. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Bec,

Sorry to hear about Cougie being sick. Since they're our kids in fur coats, our animals getting sick is tough!

Sending gentle hugs north to both of you. I hope that her stomach settles today enough that the eating Friday doesn't upset it.

Lisa

BTW-take care of yourself, too.

9. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Bec,

Sorry to hear about your dog......But at least it's taking the Pepto, even I can't get that crap down. I Puke from it.

Hang in there,

Wen

10. Damiea

Damiea Well-Known Member

Having your pet's sick is awfull.. worse then when kids get sick I think seeing as how you can talk to your kids and comfort them that way also. Pets have no idea and suffer silently in a way... glad to hear he is doing better though! If the heat is getting to him have you tried soaking him down during the day? We had a black dog that would get awfull over heated and sick in the summers.. we would have to shave him down and soak him with the garden hose on hot summers. Hope to hear soon he is all better!

11. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Sorry to hear of Cougie's illness Bec. You do sound quite stressed over it. Having many animals to care for here on our acreage, I do understand that stress somewhat. Although you say it is merely the heat and the food changes, if the illness continues, do please consider the vet. As Veiled mentioned, it is not unheard of to make payment arrangments for veterinary services. Additionally, I do hope the heat wave breaks for you soon. Excessive heat can be very oppressive and I hear you have no air conditioning. Take good care.

12. jods

jods Well-Known Member

Big Hugs to you & cougie!

13. becvan

Thanks everyone!

Thank god, the heat wave broke today. I actually have a cool breeze! *does happy dance*

Cougie is holding down water and so far, no diarrhea today. LOL, she is not impressed with the no food rule though!

She is definitely better, as she's back to howling and throwing toys at me again. Thank god.

I'm.. well hanging in there. I only slept for a few hours (without pills! whoohoo!) and it was a light sleep. Feel like I could go into hysterics anytime. Have to really work on self-care today, let me tell you!

bec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. my dog is sick and Im stressed

Show Sidebar