• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My Fish Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
I have a betta, 2 cory catfish and 2 red barb tetras. I just bought the tetras a few days ago. They and the betta don't seem to get a long. I am not sure who started it, as sometimes the tetras harass the betta, and sometimes vice verse! All I know is that they are not getting along, and that the betta lunges at them and bites them and they keep coming back for more! I don't get it, but it is probably a territorial battle or something. I think they are all males, but I am not sure. It could just be a "guy thing."

My betta and the corys seem to get along fine, and so I had no idea that this would happen when I bought the tetras. I found out one interesting thing, though. The tetras can grow to 2 inches in length (5cm). This is going to make things more than difficult for the betta as time goes on, I think.

I like to sit in front of my fish tank and crochet, it is so relaxing. I am making some lap blankets for folks in nursing homes. I love the varrigated yarn I bought the other day at Walmart. It is so pretty. The first one I am making is for a friend of mine who just got out of the hospital recently. She is cold all the time, so if she puts this lap blanket over her lap, it will help to keep her warm. She is in a wheel chair and is very old and frail. I have been friends with her for many years. So I am so pleased to be able to help her at all. As she and her sister have helped me a lot and I am very fond of them.

As I sit there crochetting, I get to watch the "show" that my little fishies are putting on for me. I do notice that the betta always knows when I am sitting there and watching him. He will come over to the glass nearby where I am sitting and look at me and I like that. Not all fish are aware of their owners. It is rare. I don't think I have ever had a fish that has been aware of me like that, but the bettas seem to do that, come to think of it. My last one did it too.

The betta is named Roger, the corys are named Diamond and Pearl and the tetras are named Garnet and Ruby. I love to name my fish, it makes them seem more like family. I don't have any other pets, so I am very "into" my fish aquarium. It is important to keep it clean, but right now I have a band aid on my finger, and am using triple antibiotic on the finger too. I have to be careful to keep all kinds of chemicals out of the tank, so I cannot use my tank vac to clean it right now, as the triple antibiotic could hurt my fish, I think.

Do any of you have a fish tank? I'd love to hear about your fish too, and share advice on tank maintnance and other stuff.

I had large aquarium as youth. As others said Beta separate.

Try to create biosphere with some natural water plants, slugs (snails), and other species that will naturally clean the walls (forgot name, but easy to find.) Ask for algae eaters. Will save you with maintenance if you create right environment. I rarely did maintenance, and water always crystal clear.

Uh...until brothers disconnected filter and oxygen for new game station when I was away. Very bad!

I had an aquarium years ago. I had a similar problem with the betta I owned as well.

The pet shop sold me a little plastic box to keep him in. The bottom of it was like a colander. It had what looked little handles on either side, these were in fact pontoons so it would float mostly submerged. All I had to do was anchor it in place so it wouldn't float around too much. The little guy seemed to like it in there.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that fish are like babies. In that if they come across anything that will fit into their mouths, it's going in there. Lol.

I did a little looking, it was called a breeding box.

I've gotten fish a few times... The last round cured me of it ;) Bought several "feeder gold fish" for 25 cents, and a few comets. Well... The feeder "goldfish" turned out to be 1" long baby koi!!! :facepalm: LMAO. Oy vey. Gorgeous, and what a pain. 2lbs and over a foot long each in under a year. <narrows eyes> The advice that says they will grow slow in a small aquarium? Lies. All lies. $35 "Practice Grief" for my son turned into a several thousand dollar project (I love koi). In the meantime, between usi outdoor feeding troughs & digging ponds... Cleaning the (increasingly larger) indoor aquariums was a twice a week project at a minimum (such dirty fish!)... And the practice grief? Snort. I plan, God laughs. Snickering. From. Above. 4 people close to us died that year while the fish were dang near immortal :p

My favs were Alophishus, Sid Fishus, & Nancy.

My son is campaigning for a saltwater aquarium lo these many years later. I'm campaigning for moving to Hawaii :D

I had a betta in a clear glass vase with a plant. The roots were underwater with the fish... I guess they love it, because they're native to rice paddies. I killed a few plants, but the fishie (named "The Jesus" a la The Big Leboeski) lived two years.

When my husband was alive and in his right mind we always had fish and I always had a Beta in a tank in my kitchen. I feel inspired to go out and get another one now.

Wow! Lots of fish enthusiasts here on the Forum, I am so pleased. So, today I shall take all of your advices and do my best to get to Walmart to buy a gold fish bowl for Roger. He can watch the other fish that way, but not bother them. I also plan to buy 3 more red barb tetras. They like to be in schools, as I understand it. I hope all this works out! I will keep all of your posted.

Well, Roger has his own bowl now and is a bit shaken I think. I have him in my bedroom now, on my bed table. I like to sit in my recliner in the bedroom a lot and read or do whatever, so I figured he'd be good company. He's checking out his bowl for the time being and I put an algae fish wafer in there for him to munch on, because I noticed he likes to take a bit out of those during the day if he gets hungry after he's had his main feeding of the morning. I usually only feed him once a day, but I had the wafers in there for my corys who like to eat whenever. So all seems well right now, with all my fish. My tetras are finally getting a chance to explore the fish tank without being attacked. They seem peaceful, so I guess it must have been Roger who started it way back when I first brought them home. I think I will buy some more of their kind and let them school, but today was not the day to do that since it is below freezing out there and I would have had to transport them in the bag across Walmart's parking lot. They could have caught a cold and we can't have that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back