• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship My Husband Ain't No Sergeant Nasty... Supporters Only Please

• Thread starter Deleted member 28812
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28812

I am feeeling horrible, horrible about what I wrote... because... I find ist hard to express my feelings here.

When I think about my threads here I made my husband look like some Sergeant Nasty, didn't I and that is not what he is like.

Actually he is a very sweet and kindhearted individual, has been always there for the family and puts other first. He
He knows when he made a mistake and is highly critical of himself.

He is hardworking.

If you would meet him at a party you would like him because he is a nice Person to talk to, btw. we are going to weddings and so on, we went to a bar this weekend, isn't that great and I am pretty sure soon we will be going to theme park.

Do you still remember me? It has been a while? Do you know and share my feeling?

Wouldn't you agree that there is some stereotype about military people that they are all like Sergeant Nasty?

By the way, I never saw a Sergeant Nasty scetch but in my country we have a similiar TV stereotype like i think the Sergeant Nasty stereotype is, but if you don't understand me there must be a cultural misunderstanding because I am not 100 percent sure what this scetch is about.

@Lemontree - I remember you from before. I only want to say that, for what it's worth - I never thought you described your husband as a 'Sgt Nasty'. I'm not sure if I'm getting the translation properly (because I can't think of what character you are referring to, I'll need to google) - but I never thought anything other than you and your husband were struggling with living with PTSD.

How can I describe the Sgt. Nasty stereotype - or what I believe it to be?

Basically it is a very illtempered person. His hobbiees include yelling at other persons and telling them to salute everything that does move and to clean everything that does not move with a toothbrush - twice - while doing push-ups with your other arm... And that's only if Sgt. Nasty is having a good day.

In my country a stereotype exists about a lot of ex mil people being that way.

I have no sense of your husband being a Sgt Nasty type, he sounds like he's been shaped by his time in the military, understandably - how could he not be - but I don't get a sense that he's purposely hurtful, for example. Most of us have lots of different sides, some softer, more gentle than others and some that are tougher - that's all fine, I'm glad he shows you that kindhearted side.

I think it's hard to see thing from the supporter point of view sometimes... We love our sufferers and see way more good in them, but there are times that you just KNOW it's the PTSD.

I'm not talking about new relationships where the guy's cheating or something... But when we've been with somebody for years, and there is a time where you look at them like "whoa...wtf is this??" It is so out of their character you know something is wrong.

@Lemontree I don't think you described him as nasty. It sounds to me like military culture being exacerbated by PTSD symptoms. He's not "bad", he just needs to learn to manage that around the kids.

When you say "supporters only" do you mean only people who are supportive of you, or only people who support someone with PTSD? I'm holding back my comment until I know whether it's welcome.

Actually I was talking about people who support a person affected by PTSD but your opinion is also very welcome unless you want to tell me my husband is Sgt. Nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back