• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

My Memory Sucks And Is Driving Me Mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, ETA: something I did in college to remember things was to write them down in ink on my arm immediately, which meant I was always walking around with my arms covered in notes, but it really worked,

Writing things helps me remember as well. Something I do is take 'air notes'. I don't know what else to call it - I put my fingers like they'd be if I was holding a pencil or pen, and 'write' on my leg or my arm. It's actually pretty effective. Might have the fringe benefit of re-grounding you slightly, because you'd be experiencing something tactile.

Yup. Memory lapses are part of PTSD, but for me it is worse, as I am in my 60s, so age memory loss is creeping in as well. Then I have Lyme DIsease, which also causes memory problems. I even have a medicine that I take for restless legs syndrome that also causes memory problems.

I have come across some things that help though, so I will share them with you:

I took 2000mgs. of B12 vitamin sublingually for 2 weeks, and now I take 1000mgs. of it daily. I get this vitamin from a company called Puritan's Pride. Dead Link Removed

I also am working in a book called BRAIN BOOT CAMP that is written by Dr. Douglas J. Mason with 1001 questions in it that make our brain work and when it does, it actually repairs itself physically! The book has an electronic coach in it that tells you when you are correct in answering or incorrect. I ordered it from a company called BAS BLUE and I believe they have a website, but you can also order it through amazon.com. I recommend it highly!
Dead Link Removed

I'm going to try @joeylittle's air notes, although I think I may need to recommit to writing things on myself when possible. So far as I know, it doesn't violate my dress code at work. ;)

The B12 isn't a bad idea at all. I have a really good recipe for salmon burgers, and I know B12 elevates mood. Plus, salmon is healthy, and I don't have a good diversity of protein in my diet.

I think @The Albatross is right, though. I'm carting before horsing. Being in extreme isolation, plus sleep issues, plus extreme avoidance is not doing me any favors, and if I feel like I can't be present, I'm really asking a lot of myself to remember shit. I think to remember things, I probably need to be there at the time I'm telling myself to remember it.

With that, I'm trying to improve. I know that daily, engaged exercise with my dogs helps me be present in addition to elevating my mood, stabilizing my eating patterns, and assisting me with earlier, sounder sleeping habits. I think I need to start journaling again, as well. It's good for sleep and will help me remember things day-to-day. Plus, I miss it. I stopped journaling after college, and there's no good reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back