• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General My Son Got Beat Up-Big Freaking Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

becvan

MyPTSD Pro
Well, here's the story.

A kid that Matt goes to school with (the kid is in another class of the same grade) and rides the bus with showed up here tonight and invited Matt to go and have a snowball fight. Matt wanted to go so I found out where they were going and told Matt to be back in one hour. In forty minutes, Matt showed up. He was hurt and couldn't even speak he was so upset. I got him calmed down enough for him to tell me he got beat up. After determining that he wasn't severely injured, I got him out of his winter gear and got him to tell the whole story.

Seems this kid brought Matt to some kids house, tried to get another teenager (no idea how old) to come out, had another kid from grade 7 there and two more teenagers (around 15) there. This one kid wouldn't come out so they had a bit of a snowball fight then the child that had came and got Matt from my house, said "wanna see a fight" shoved Matt face first in the snow, pounced on his back, pinned Matt's arms at his hips with his knees (Matt's left side is very sore from this) and proceeded to take 6 or 7 jabs at the back of Matt's head. One of the other kids jumped on and crushed Matt. Matt couldn't breathe (he has a very sore chest now) and it took another kid, yet again, to tackle the one punching him to get him off of Matt.

At this point Matt told me he used all his effort to get up and came straight home without speaking to any of them. Weirdly, the kid that beat him up walked him halfway home.

So after calling my friend here and asking what the hell do I do. I called the police. It took almost 30 minutes to get through the line and arrange for an Officer to come and take a statement. I then waited until 11pm for them to come. I called back and they told me they would call me back if no one could come. They called me back and have arranged to come at 8am.

Now I also have to call Matt's principal and Matt's therapist. Matt doesn't want to leave the house again. He doesn't want to go to school, he doesn't want to get on the bus. Can't say I blame him much there.

Not only am I upset that my kid just got beat up (and it sounds like it was a set up to beat him up to begin with) but all the hard work and great progress Matt made just went flying out the window. This was the FIRST time Matt has left the house with a "friend" to go and play in over a YEAR!

I don't even know where to begin on this one. Matt is having trouble sleeping because he's scared to go to school. He doesn't want to get on a bus. He's staying home for the morning as he has to speak to the police, we need to inform the principal and I have to get a hold of his therapist, however I don't know yet what will happen in the afternoon.

I have choice words about this right now. None of them are pretty.

bec

that's so ****ed up.

i'm so sorry that happened to Matt. i hope everything goes well with the police in the morning.

Oh my. That is most unforunate Bec. Children and adolescents can be very cruel and will pick on anyone who seems the least bit vulnerable. I agree with you, it does sound like a setup somewhat. How horrible for Matt, whilst making such a positive step to go out and interact with peers!

I do hope the interview with the police went well. It is understandable that Matt does not wish to leave the house, though you may want to take him to the doctor to make certain the injuries are not serious. Especially as he was punched in the head - that concerns me to be honest.

Will Karen make house calls or do phone sessions? If Matt truly will not leave the house that may be an option. In any event, with getting hurt I see no problem in him staying home a few days until he is better. After a rest of a few days you may assess the situation a little better. If Matt did not have PTSD I advise him to "get back on the horse" immediately so to speak, and perhaps learn to defend himself. However as he does have PTSD it is a very thorny situation, he may very well be re-traumatized. It certainly does not help his progress, as you say. He cannot hide in the house forever, however he will possibly need some help to gain confidence once more, and I do hope Karen can assist you with this.

I am so very sorry this has happened Bec. Both of take good care and keep us informed please.

Thanks very much guys.

The police interview went well. The officer is investigating and will let me know of the final outcome. I think he thought it sounded a bit like a set-up too. The school is also investigating and they are not happy about what happened. Matt will be home today and possibly Monday. His therapist is on a day off so hopefully we will get a hold of her by then.

Matt is still adamant about not going to school so hopefully with a calm weekend at home and seeing his therapist as soon as we can it will make a difference.

Matt is okay. He's just bruised up some and sore. He's having some trouble sleeping and doesn't feel safe so I'm going to work on that with him for now.

bec

Good luck, Bec. How awful for Matt and you. I never understood how some kids could behave so rottenly.

Deary me Bec thats the last thing you guys need! I hope he gets through this ok:hello:

Thanks guys. Today both Matt and I were very much just recouping from the physical backlash of the stress of yesterday and this morning. Hoping that tomorrow we will both have a little more life in us.

bec

OMG. I had heard about this from Mum but I didn't know the details until I read them just now. I'm sorry this happened. God what assholes. Matt sure didn't need that. I hope you guys feel a little better tomorrow.

Wow! How scary and horrible. I hope he will be able to leave the house sometime soon. I can only imagine what you both are going thru.

Kids can be so rotten to each other. I'm sorry this happened to Matt, Bec. I hope after the weekend recouping that he feels better. This is sure something he didn't need on his plate.

Kids can be so brutal !!!!! I hope Matt will be ok ! It is hard enough when this happens to a child with no problems, but when it happens to someone like Matt, it could and will be so much harder to get better.

Hope that a few days at home and talking it over will help him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back