• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Name Something Positive That Has Come As A Result Of Your Ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Bear

MyPTSD Pro
Since starting treatment just over 4yrs ago, the one thing that I've gotten from my work has been new relationships. Not just any old relationship....but strong, foundational, positive, present and trustworthy, loving relationships.

Sure I've had to put effort into gaining new relationships. Put myself out their a little, try.....but in return I've really grown in this area.

Sometimes I get pissy about how painful and long this has taken me, but on days like this? I'm reminded that I've grown so much and have gained great gifts out of my pain.

What's something positive that has changed for you??

Absolutely nothing from PTSD itself... but through treating it in therapy and outside resources - I've gained a little self compassion, the ability to reach out and ask for help, ability to stand up for myself, the belief that I'm worth it, ability to set boundaries, ability to see the present, etc... just an overall learning experience so several things I guess... still a work in progress ;)

Ask me on a different day, and I might say I've had no positive changes.

I've gotten so much from PTSD! I'm honestly grateful to have it. I know, I'm a weirdo.

I got answers. I finally understood why I never fit in, why I've never been able to control my emotions, why I always hurt.

I became free. All of my defenses were stripped away. The facade peeled from my face, the walls crumbled to dust. I had no choice but to be me.

I began to think of myself differently. I wasn't despicable, I was damaged. That allowed me to begin feeling self-compassion, which is leading to self-acceptance.

I've discovered that I kind of like myself. Now that I can't pretend to be someone I'm not, I find the person who's emerging to be pretty cool... :)

I stopped putting up with bullshit. I'm not sure why, but I think it's a result of the self-compassion.

Most importantly (if I haven't bored everyone to tears by now), it forced me to face my demons. I would have kept them buried forever, which means I would have continued to be ashamed of my very existence. Now, I feel like I have the right to be happy, and to be valued for who I am, not for how well I can pretend to be someone else.

Thanks for asking, PB!

@Fadeaway I know this will sound strange, but I don't believe PTSD is a disorder. I believe it is simply our subconscious telling us that our bodies can't handle the trauma any longer. A warning that keeping all that shit buried deep inside us is hazardous to our health. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and that's ok. It seems like all my life I've been looking at a different picture than everyone else.

@ladee We are mighty!

I don't believe PTSD is a disorder. I believe it is simply our subconscious telling us that our bodies can't handle the trauma any longer.

I think I get what you're saying here and I don't think it's strange (okay, but maybe your enthusiasm about your diagnosis is :roflmao: jk!! ;)). I think of PTSD as more of a condition than disorder... ya know, when I'm clear headed and not wallowing. The word "disorder" tends to evoke more negative feelings and views about myself (you remember me whining in chat about my diagnosis? :sorry: lol), while "condition" seems more of an explanation of how our bodies are saying HEYYY THAT'S ENOUGH! There isn't necessarily something wrong with me, it's just how my body has said it's stuck in the trauma response and it can't handle any more until some healing happens. I know you weren't talking to me, but I hope I've related to you correctly. You just made me think... Whatever understanding helps us move forward and heal and find the positives!

Last edited:
Hmmm....the hypervigilence has made me super quick. I almost got bit by a copperhead I didn't even see til it tried to tag me but jumped out of the way anyway. Not sure how but I'm going to write it off as that. I was on the phone with my sister, walking a horse path and as soon as it struck I jumped. Then I saw the snake. Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back