• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Name that distorted cognition (thought/perception)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnification & minimization & all or nothing thinking. The all or nothing I can turn on its ear to work for me. The magnification & minimization are both messing with me, from different sides. So I need to traffic a bit of untangling it / quiet serenity moments, to the day.

1. All or nothing thinking -- You see things in black and white categories. If your performance falls short of perfect, you see yourself as a total failure.
  2. Over-generalization -- You see a single negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.
  3. Mental filter -- You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it so exclusively that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that colors the entire beaker of water.
  4. Disqualifying the positive -- You reject positive experiences by insisting they "don't count" for some reason or other. In this way you can maintain a negative belief that is contradicted by your everyday experiences.
  5. Jumping to conclusions -- You make a negative interpretation even though there are no definite facts that convincingly support your conclusion. (Involves mind-reading and fortune-telling.)
  6. Magnification and minimization -- You exaggerate the importance of things, or you inappropriately shrink things until they appear tiny.
  7. Emotional reasoning -- You assume that your emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are, as in "I feel it, therefore it must be true."
  8. Should statements -- You try to motivate yourself with "should" and "should not," as if you have to be whipped and punished before you could be expected to do anything.
  9. Labeling and mislabeling -- This is an extreme form of overgeneralization. Instead of describing your error, you attach a negative label to yourself.
  10. Personalization -- You see yourself as the cause of some negative external event which, in fact, you were not primarily responsible for.
Magnification, minimisation.
Over generalisation.
Should statements.
Personalisation.
Mega emotional reasoning.
All or nothing thinking.

Last edited:
I am see how my distorted cognitions work together with my dissociation, depersonalisation and derealisation. I am also seeing how this fits in with my constant fantasyland as well. I slip into rumination so easily - and think of it as thinking but it is not thinking it is just rumination. This cascades in to feelings of helpelessness and hopelessness - so back to reading David Burns I go. The Mindfulness practice has let me have a bit of distance or more awareness of my thinking - so sometimes I am not as merged with it as other times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back