• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Nam's Mental Imagery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nam, I think your first response was closer to the problem that is sitting on your mind, and it is sitting there, because otherwise you would not have chosen the image you did. There are endless possibilites for our mind to provide images, but our mind provides those images that reside within it the most, the image that often comes to mind immediately is the more important image. The tree is not you Nam, it is another person that you see as very controlling in your life, and it is one of your issues, because you obviously think about it quite often, and it causes you some pain for it to be present at all.

Nam, before that tree there is another obstacle, what is it and please describe it?

A little boy. He's playing on the path. For some reason I see him very far away, so far away that I can't see his face. He has blond hair, about seven years old, and wearing blue denim overalls and a loose white t-shirt underneath. He has his pant legs rolled up into cuffs as if he just waded a creek. He's barefoot. He's a happy little boy. I feel kind of jealous of him for being so carefree, but at the same time, I'm happy because he is.

I don't have a clue as to who this boy is. I don't know why he's there.

Nam, you feel jealous because this little boy is quite carefree and happy, and signify mixed feelings with a secret regarding who this is, whether yourself or someone else.

It's no secret that I'm envious of my own children. I make sure that they have many things to be happy about during the course of the day. I make sure that they have choices and can make decisions. I make sure that either I or Hubs is available to the girls at all times. Their life is really good. All things I didn't have growing up. Before age five, I was responsible for my younger brother, we were constantly hungry, and I was afraid when the next beating would be. It was also where most of my trauma was inflicted. After age five, I became an orphan, separated from my brother, and adamant that I stay with my sister. We were then adopted into a family that said no I love you's. That expected children to work hard. To be seen but not heard. The 'ol buck it up attitude when I was down. There were no hugs, and definitely no kisses. There were barely any "how was your day" conversations. All things that I so desperately needed. I did not get a motherly hug until I was in college and it was a hug from my soon to be mother in law. I cried on her shoulder.

There are times when I take care of my girls that I get exasperated by the way they act. They can be such spoiled brats at times. They think that they are entitled to do what they wish. At times like these, I am jealous. They are children that are loved and well cared for and can express their feelings freely and are listened to. Makes my heart ache.

Some time has passed and I would like to try this again:

Q1. What colour is the road?
brown

Q2. What texture is the road?
It is sandy. Very much like sand box sand here. Sand mixed with dirt.

Q3. How solid is the road?
Not very solid at all. I'm walking on this road barefoot since it's so sandy.

You continue walking and come to a river that must be crossed. There before you is the river; the size and depth are up to you. You cannot go around it but must imagine a way to cross it. Whatever you need to cross the river is already within your mind, just imagine seeing yourself do it.

Q4. How do you cross the river?
I walk aross.

Q5. What does the water look like?
It is clear like a lake. I can see the bottom which is also sandy brown with pebbles in it.

Q6. How fast is the water current?
quite slow. It has only enough current to move the water with no bubbles or noise.

Q7. Is there anything in the water? If so, what?
It is very clear with only a few rocks and pebbles on the bottom that I can see clearly.

You have crossed the river and continue walking. You come to a house. Take a good look at the house. Notice the impression it makes on you.

Q8. What colour is the house?
Brown and white, kind of tudor style.

Q9. What condition is the house in?
It looks old but it is in excellent condition.

Q10. Does anyone live in the house? If so, who?
Yes. No one that I know but I gather this person is a nice stranger.

We continue forward in our minds journey and come to an open field. A cup is on the ground, and we stop to examine it. The cup can be of any size, shape, colour and description. Focus on it's look, condition and contents.

Q11. What colour is the cup?
It is clear.

Q12. What condition is the cup in?
It is laying tilted on it's side. It's a tumbler glass that is made of clear plastic but has gotten cloudy with exposure to the elements. It's streaked with white. The cup is intact, but I certainly wouldn't drink out of it.

Q13. Is there anything in the cup? If so, what?
Nothing in it except the white stuff coated in the inside. It's similar to hard water stains/mineral deposits.

You continue walking down the road and come to something blocking your path. It stops you in your tracks and prevents you from going forward. This is an obstacle.

Q14. What is the obstacle, and please describe it in detail?
It's a wooden box. A box that's only about knee high and about two feet across. The wood is arranged in slats along the sides with a solid bottom. It's turned upside down. I cannot see between the slats.

Q15. What do you see beyond the obstacle?
Some very nice tress. Very tall ever green trees. I can smell the evergreen from where I'm standing before the box.

Now you have had a break, go back to every question and look at your response. Try and find what you feel that your mind presented the image it did. Explain colours you chose, textures, water, cup, solids, liquids, space, objects, people, anything and everything that you wrote from your projected image, try and find what you feel to why you have that image. Don't look hard at things, instead try and look for the easy answers, as they are often the correct one's. Don't attempt to find something that isn't present, just look at each aspect for its absolute simplicity.

This is not an absolute, but something you must do in order to try and self analyse yourself. This is important. Please answer what you can, and simply define if you cannot find an emotion to a response you gave.

1. Brown is a safe road color. I was surprised last time that it came out red, but this time it's a nice comforting brown color. It's soothing and very natural.

2. I love sand and how it feels between my toes. I have many memories as a child playing in the sand box for hours. Dirt to me is also very comforting. I love the way it smells, especially in combination with green plants.

3. This road isn't solid at all. It's weird that around the road is a harder surface of green grass, but my road is like the beach. I had to work hard to walk through it when it would have been easier to just go over to the grass and walk. I'm not sure why I chose sand but it is not all threatening. In fact, it's comforting.

4. The river was a nice break from the sandy path. I washed the sand from my feet and felt the cool water around my ankles. It's not deep at all, in fact it's more like a creek. There was creek that I loved very much as a child at one of my dad's pastures that he kept cattle. It had a lot of sediment on the bottom but the water was very clear. This is also very comforting and non threatening.

5. The water is very clear. I can see to the bottom. In fact, there's no reflection in the water at all. I can't see myself or the sky...just the pebbles and rocks at the bottom. The pebbles are round and it feels good to walk through.

6. The current is what I would have chosen for a river. It's so slow it just barely creeps along. This is also like my childhood creek.

7. Very round rocks at the bottom. Also, very comforting as it massages my feet.

8. The style of house is a typical "home" for me. It has steep roof and a tall chimney. The type of house I admire but would never live in.

9. The house is in an old style but it's in great condition. It's like someone kept the house appropriately in the correct style for the period but made it look new. I love redone houses like this.

10. I think I don't know this person because I don't know of anyone that would live in a house like that. Most of my friends and family are either very modern or very practical. Although I don't know this person, I feel as if I would like this person because of the way she keeps great care in her house and has respect for old things.

11. I have a lot of tumblers like this in my home.

12. the cup is a modern cup left out and forgotten. I'm not sure why I chose this condition.

13. I have a shower door that looks very much like the inside of the cup! LOL! Maybe that's why? I need to clean my shower!

14. I'm not sure about the box. I've never seen such a box. The slats are going up and down. I've seen slats go from side to side, but not from the top to the bottom. I don't know what could be in it, but I feel as if it's an unknown not wanting to be known. It's best to leave upside down.

15. I love forests that have many old trees. I like the smell of them especially after a summer rain.

Nam, I can see your having a lot of difficulty at present due to feeling unappreciated in life. Trusting, though you depreciated from sexual intimacy, and aware of these problems for the most part. I would say your feeling a little naive about feeling unappreciated through your poor support systems, past or present, hence the low self esteem present. Nam, would it be fair to say that you feel a little knocked over surrounding commitment within your life? Would it also be fair to say Nam, that your feeling quite trapped at present within your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back