1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Need Help Please - PTSD Diagnostic Questions Broken Down

Discussion in 'General' started by anthony, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I am currently working on a PTSD diagnosis form that is soon to be released, one that nothing currently compares with, as it is based on the DSM criteria and uses the clinician scale GAF, which physicians use to determine intensity.

Basically, I need to break down each question to provide examples as a secondary alternative when a user rolls the mouse over the question. I want to break down the clinical speak to plain old PTSD understanding, so what better way than to get the vast range of experience here to achieve this.

I need these pretty quickly, so I will only take examples over the next day or two, then close the thread, as I need to finish building the diagnosis form.

The questions that I need to break down are:
    • Did you experience, witness, or were confronted with an event/s that involved actual or threatened death, serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of yourself or others?
    • Did your response involve intense fear, helplessness, or horror?
    • Note: In children, this may be expressed instead by disorganized or agitated behaviour.
    • Do you have recurrent, intrusive and distressing recollections of the event, including images, thoughts, or perceptions?
    • Note: In young children, repetitive play may occur in which themes or aspects of the trauma are expressed.
    • Do you have recurrent distressing dreams of the event?
    • Note: In children, there may be frightening dreams without recognizable content.
    • Do you act or feel as if the traumatic event were recurring? (ie. a sense of reliving the experience, illusions, hallucinations, and dissociative flashback episodes, including those that occur on awakening or when intoxicated)
    • Note: In young children, trauma-specific re-enactment may occur.
    • Do you have intense psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event? (ie. reminded of the traumatic event by triggers)
    • Do you have physiological reactivity on exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event? (ie. feel tense when reminded of a traumatic event)
    • Do you avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations associated with the trauma?
    • Do you avoid activities, places, or people that arouse recollections of the trauma?
    • Do you have an inability to recall an important aspect of the trauma?
    • Do you have markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities?
    • Do you have feelings of detachment or estrangement from others?
    • Do you have a restricted range of affect? (ie. unable to have loving feelings)
    • Do you have a sense of a foreshortened future? (ie. does not expect to have a career, marriage, children, or a normal life span)
    • Do you have difficulty falling or staying asleep?
    • Do you have irritability or outbursts of anger?
    • Do you suffer difficulty concentrating?
    • Do you have hyper-vigilance?
    • Do you have an exaggerated startle response?
    • Do you mix socially with others outside your family?
    • Do you have strong family relationships?
    • Do you maintain a normal, healthy relationship with your partner?
    • Do you cope with everyday situations?
    • Do you cope with your employment?
    Basically, each one needs to be expanded to more logical statements and examples, so nobody can really confuse or misunderstand what the question is asking.

Example

Experience and witness are fairly straight forward, ie. you where involved within the traumatic event, you actually viewed the traumatic event, opposed to confronted, which could mean that you walked outside a shop where a car accident had occured, though a person was dead within the vehicle, or was thrown from the vehicle and deceased, or was decapitated and you could see the body and head, though you didn't actually view the accident happening, instead viewed these images moments after the accident had occured. Another could be emergency workers, ambulance, fire, police, all of whom attend a scene after it has occured and are confronted with the aftermath. Morticians would fall under this umbrella, having to sew bodies back together for families to view, that have been involved within a significant accident.

These are just are few examples. I need basically this type of simple approach for each question, and who better to get that from than those who have experienced it all. This type of simplistic approach will only help future sufferers help understand the diagnostic criteria to apply towards themselves or not.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. bella

bella New Member

Hope this helps

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but here is a couple:
    Do you have hyper-vigilance?
    Whether you are in public or at home, you are constantly looking around seeing what is going on and you hear everything that goes on around you. If you hear a sound that you don’t recognize, you have to find out what made that sound. When you’re asleep, the slightest noise or motion will wake you up.
    Do you have an exaggerated startle response?
    You feel like your going to jump out of your skin if someone sneaks up behind you or you don't know there is someone there. Some people come out swinging or scream too.
    Do you have recurrent distressing dreams of the event?
    There are two types of dreams: dreams that relive the experience and dreams that are representative. The representative dreams often have feelings or emotions tied to them, such as fear, being alone or anger. They also have certain themes or objects that always stay the same, though there are some details that do change.

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Thanks bella, much appreciated. That is the exact type of information I need. Even though I have released the ptsd diagnosis, this particular aspect is one that I need to fine tune, so people can get a full understanding of each question, and not tip-toe around it or avoid it as non-relevant to themselves, if it is relevant, just approached from a different angle that they can assimilate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar