1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Need some advice from fellow cops.

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by CannotCop, Sep 12, 2017.

1. CannotCop

CannotCop Guest

Long story short here. I was involved in a shooting on thanksgiving After a nurse had been stabbed over 120 times. I ended up killing the suspect. I was cleared of all investigations after a couple months. All the meanwhile I was being seen at the shrink for ptsd. I no longer want to police and can't bring myself to do it.

I'm not familiar with workers comp or long term disability. I do wanna work and plan on trying to get a post office job. Would the job interfere with long term disability from an insurance company or workers comp since I can't be an officer due to ptsd.
    Thank you and Blessings.

EveHarrington and The Albatross like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Neverthesame

Neverthesame A Mind The Dead Have Ravaged Premium Member

I'm not a Leo.

It might make a difference which country you're in, I'll assume USA.

This is something you need to discuss with your doctor and wcb case worker. How this would affect you, if they'll even do this. I honestly don't know.
    The whole point of wcb and ltd are to provide you with income while unable to work during your convalescence, but I get where you're coming from.
    As there is nothing physically wrong with you, you'd like get a job that doesn't involve a gun or badge, to supplement lost income, right?

I do know that it will affect it some extent, should you be able to do this. You won't be able to make more than you did while still working. Getting a job to cover that 10% - 20% Remaining pay wcb doesn't cover, might not be worth the effort honestly.
    I'm assuming wherever you are, like alot of places, police are under payed?

It might be better for you in the long run to budget efficiently while focusing on getting back to work as quickly as possible.

What I can also tell you. Ptsd affects your entire working life. Even jobs that have little or nothing to do with the cause, you're going to find alot harder to do. That's just the way it works I'm afraid.
    Working on managing this disorder is probably the better use of your time and energy right now.

4. CannotCop

CannotCop Guest

Thank you. I appreciate the info. I'm getting into a new job that is very monotonous thankfully (Postal Service). Does anyone have a hard time focusing on a single task for a period of time. I've been trying to get hardwood put down in the house but I can't seem to finish it.

Fadeaway likes this.
  5. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

Dispatch here -- So sorry you had to go through that. I haven't been in the field but I've been on the other side of the radio and I know how much it sucks for you. It's not surprising you are struggling. You know you did what had to be done. But that doesn't make it any easier. I've had some good friends over the years make the only choice they could and helped them pick up the pieces later and I've learned that the only things that help are time and counseling (more than the department usually offers).

One of the symptoms of PTSD is foggy brain and inability to concentrate. That's what took me off the floor - I couldn't do the split second decision making stuff anymore. So that part is pretty normal I think

Our long term disability insurance pays 2/3 of your salary and deducts anything you make as an "offset" So if you get 1000 per month from them, and make 500 on your own, they will deduct the 500 you made. Read it carefully - because if you go out on PTSD on ours they will only pay for 2 years. They do offer retraining, so you can move on to another career field that is a bit less hectic.

6. loui50

loui50 Active Member

Most LDT companies only cover "Mental Illness" for 2 years then you are on your own. At least that is what I was told when I resigned from my job as a cop with PTSD. I've had 2 subsequent careers and both eventually triggered me and I got to the point that I lost my jobs and I'm now on SSDI for PTSD. My Psychiatrist has also told me that you can't file workers compensation for a mental illness. (This is in FL) so look into that too. Good luck to you! If you get a subsequent job, ensure that you always maintain LTD insurance!! Hope this helps!