• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Need Some Help. Weird Ommp Stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oinkily

New Here
Okay, so I'm a medical marijuana user. My brother offered to help me with getting my card and setting up a grow site for us last year.
I'm up for renewal, and I registered myself as the grower and my brother as a caregiver. Our grow is set up on a sort of communal grow site, where more... "Industrious growers," also work. My problem is that I haven't ever seen it in the two years we've been trying to put this together.
My brother has been going back and forth setting it up, but hasn't told me much. He said he picked out a few plants, and they'll be putting them in the ground as soon as I have the official paperwork for the site.
At first, he said I'd be getting something monthly, around an ounce or so. That site fell through, so I got nothing.

Then that turned into once per season, I'd be getting about a pound and a half at the end... At this point, I thought it sounded like a lot, but he assured me it was perfectly fine and dandy.
Then he tells he it'll be about two pounds at the end of the season, and that I'm getting a total of 1/4 of the grow. This is when I started to worry. Why am I only getting a quarter of it when I'm the only patient? I figured he would have a portion to cover the cost of the grow, but I don't know anything about it at all.

When I asked him when I would be able to come help out this last weekend, and any time before that come to think of it, I was essentially blocked. "There won't be much for you to do," or "We're already working on it," or "Harvest time you can come help." Always something to that effect.
Any details I get are minimal, nothing actually telling. "I have a few different kinds set up," or "I need the cards before anything else happens."
Last year, I was also supposed to go and help at harvest, but he didn't tell me when the start of the season was, and I ended up having to BUY it from him somehow. Looking back, I believe that is what I call, "being swindled."

After all this, I was a bit hurt. We haven't always had a good relationship, and I thought this was some sort of peace attempt... And then I started doing the math.

2 lbs. = 32 ounces. The legal limit for a patient is 24 ounces at a time, I believe? So that's scary...
If that's only 1/4 of it, that means there's 8 lbs. I have no idea what's happening with.
8 lbs. = 96 ounces = roughly $24,000...?

I don't know if it's my paranoia, or I've caught onto a valid line of fishiness. I really don't want to think it, but I'm worried that my brother is taking advantage of my illness to make money illegally.
I know I would never need that amount of stuff. So, it's not for me.
If he's doing it for him, it's not personal use. He couldn't use that much in a year.
I know he has been going to the dispensary for things, but I always assumed it was for him... Now, I'm not so sure it's just for that.
The biggest hint here, however, is that I have yet to receive anything from him without having to hand over just as much money as I would pay at a dispensary. I've never seen this place where "we" supposedly have plants. I don't even know exactly where it is. He didn't ask me what I wanted, as far as plants go, either.

I don't want to jump in and throw accusations everywhere, especially since I don't know exactly what the law is on this... But this sounds to me like he's trying to do something terribly illegal that I have no desire to be part of. My name is all over it, and I don't like the idea of my card being revoked because he's being an idiot. Or worse, Feds knocking on my door. My mother-in-law would love that...

So I guess I'm just wondering what in the world I should do. I haven't given him his new caregiver card yet, because I don't know if I should... I tried talking to someone else who works at the site, and they said to talk to him about it. Big circle I don't want to run in.
I'm so used to feeling like everyone is out to get me, I don't trust myself too much on it. On the other hand, he's my brother and probably knows I'd doubt myself if I thought it was weird anyway.

Should I just tell him to cut the crap, or wait it out? I'm afraid of causing family problems, I'm afraid I'm wrong, I'm afraid somehow I'll lose 2 pounds of stuff that could last me quite a while... I'm also afraid of either one or both of us getting in trouble... So any thoughts would be nice to hear!

rule one for me is never mix family and money, because family can and will swindle us.

It sounds like he is using your card to grow for profit. I have both grown and been medical patient for over 8 years, and I can tell you that a grower doling out a oz per month is ridiculous.

Plants produce POUNDS. It's possible there are problems: fungus, mold, inexperience, other grower's egos etc. that he isn't telling you about.

I can tell you one thing that i am certain of:

Rule 1: NEVER, EVER, EVER have a partner in growing. It's a bad idea. It just is. Greed is the reason.

Did you make an investment to start the grow op? Are they using your medical letter to expand a "commune" and get more plants?

In my humble opinion, buy from the clubs and leave your bro out of it. Grow by yourself or don't grow at all. That's just my two cents.

Yep. Your brother is running a grow op outside of legal bounds for one patient. Which either means he/they have multiple patients, or they're in business. That or he's the most grossly incompetent grower... Ever.

Pull your card. Grow your own (both easy & difficult depending on a few factors, definitely very expensive to set up... Expect several thousand in lights alone), or buy from a dispensary.

Do NOT give him the new caregiver card! You are putting yourself at risk for not only losing your MMJ card, but also having charges brought against you. If you lose your card.....I doubt you'll get another one.

Sounds like your brother is royally screwing you. You're the patient, so YOU should decide what strain is grown. Otherwise, what the heck is the point? Using the wrong strain can impact its efficacy.

I get the feeling that he jumped at the chance of being your "caregiver" because he saw a potential for making lots of money. On the other hand, you saw him as being a caring brother who wanted to help you out. I hate to break it to you, but your brother is selfish. He is risking YOUR freedom so that he can make a few bucks. (Ok, probably more than a few, but you get my point.) Long/short, anyone who gives a damn about you won't put your freedom at risk. (OR your health, which is essentially what he's doing.)

So yeah, essentially, its like you are taking Oxy and he is stealing your Oxy to sell it on the street. SO NOT COOL!

Screw the fear of causing family problems. Screw the fear of losing your pot. Do you realize you are risking not only your future ability to have a MMJ card, but also your freedom!?!? WHOA! Do you know how much scarier prison would be for someone with PTSD? Think about it.

ETA

I'm not a MMJ user. This is my perspective from the "outside".

ETA....again.

Even if you are clueless about the illegal activity, I honestly think that they'd still hold you accountable for what has happened with your MMJ card. That is, I don't think you could plead ignorance because it would show that you're not responsible enough to be a MMJ card holder.

Sounds like you should cut your losses, move on. I'm not overly familiar with the laws surrounding medical marijuana. (I don't use it, legally or otherwise. Don't have a problem with it, just not my thing.)

Seems to me, being affiliated in any way whatsoever with a possible illigal grow- op, is probably not going to end well for you.

Thanks, you guys! I was really hoping this was entirely in my head... Apparently not!

Also, I believe it's a smaller communal sort of deal... The guy who owns the land runs it with his brother. They have patients, along with his brother being one. He doesn't personally use it.
When I met him and talked about it, he also gave me some samples of his last harvest, and told me plenty more details I don't recall exactly... Plant numbers, my space, how many people are around, security, system set up, costs, etc... If there's anything I didn't want, he said he would sell it through a "patient network" and I would be compensated accordingly... I assumed that was a real thing or he had a funky way of saying dispensary, so I thought it sounded reasonable... :bag:

He also invited me to come help during the entire season or just when there was something to do besides general maintenance, but I don't get the chance to talk to him directly very often... I assumed my brother would be helpful in that area. I asked this guy a couple days ago and he said they'd be putting things in the ground, so I should get what I wanted to do sorted out. Since I don't have a working vehicle and I wasn't aware I had plants to go anywhere already, I tried talking to my brother, who promptly shut me down and started this whole thought process...

My brother has admittedly been kind of a turd his entire existence, but in a whiny sort of way... I didn't think it would be quite so... Extreme. Shows what greed can do. Sheesh. I didn't think ignorance would be a good excuse to tell the lawmen, either...

I really, really want to believe that my brother is simply a liar and a pile of dookie and that this guy was legit... Maybe my brother has been telling him things I didn't really say... Maybe I'm just really trying to convince myself I didn't get screwed by literally everyone... Story of my life!

Now, I'm curious how one would go about that without making it an even worse situation? Or is that even possible? Hoping for too much? Augh! I feel like an idiot! :hungover:

I didn't ever even have the chance to give him anything. He said he would cover the card and I could pay him back later. He just kept telling me not to worry about it. I had saved some for plants and equipment this season, but he told me he already had it sorted out and there wasn't really much for me to do with... Anything.
It reminds me of when he'd hand me a controller for a video game when we were little, and it wouldn't be plugged in... The more I poke around the more it sounds like I wasn't really going to have anything to do with it and he thought I just wouldn't notice much.

@Oinkily, if you didn't put any money into it (which it sounds like you didn't), then I would say you should just quietly not list him as a caregiver and start using the dispensary. If you want to let him know he's not the caregiver anymore, keep it really low-key - as in "oh, it will be easier for me if I go to the dispensary". That's my advice, anyway.

I do think it makes sense for him to have charged you for the stuff if you hadn't put any money in to begin with. But it doesn't change the fact that you aren't getting what you need, and he's clearly being shady. Don't jeopardize your status. And legally, I believe it's to your benefit that money never changed hands between you and your brother. Keep it that way, if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back