• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Undiagnosed Needing advice: i have involuntary body movements and speech after many traumatic events

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMG

New Here
I have just found this site. I have experienced many traumatic events in my life. I am 46 years old. In Feb this year I was admitted to hospital for five days as I had severe involuntary body movements and speech. The doctors described it as tourettes type symptoms. All examinations for any physical conditions were completed and came back negative. I was told that I was suffering from stress/anxiety and that things would get back to normal soon.
Although I am nowhere near as bad as I was in February, I am still unable to function as I did before. I have now been offered an appointment with a psychiatrist. I think that I may have PTSD and am wondering what others may think about this. I now find it very difficult to go out in public or speak on the telephone. My main symptoms are, nausea, retching, uncontrollable shaking of limbs, weak limbs, involuntary vocal sounds and face/neck contortions, inability to speak, insomnia, poor concentration and sensitivity to noise.

This is now ruling my entire life. I would be grateful for any advice.
Kind regards

Welcome!

No one here is able to diagnose. Trauma and stress can lead to a number of mental health disorders, not just the specific condition of PTSD. It is reasonable to suspect that trauma could be playing a role in your symptoms.

I’d be sure to follow up with the psychiatrist appointment. Have you consulted with a therapist yet?

With the trauma history, anxiety/stress, and the struggle to cope now, I’d suggest a therapist with training in trauma usually evidenced by being trained in one or more trauma specific technique like EMDR. They might be able to help quite a bit.

While my symptoms are different, I too will react in an almost seizure like way when exposed to extreme stress and anxiety. I DO, however, suffer from epilepsy; though these other "movements" and "jerks" are more related to anxiety and stress. My face will twitch, especially the left side of my face. I will lose the ability to speak or I will begin to stutter so badly that I might as well NOT be able to speak.

I DO suffer (and have a recent diagnosis of) from C-PTSD from a severe trauma filled childhood, (and life). I certainly cannot offer a diagnosis, but just mention MY issues to make you perhaps feel more at ease. I too would suggest a therapist, (I am personally anti-psychiatry....as I do not believe medicine is always the answer)....but there are times when medication can offer a solution, especially if it is anxiety or a physical/neurological issue. I DO use medication for my epilepsy, but it doesn't "work" on these "stress induced" twitches and shakes.

Good luck to you!

Don't have much to say so welcome and perhaps weighted blankets? :)

conversion disorder

Welcome to the site.:happy:

May I ask you a question(or 2) about your C.D. diagnosis?

How did the Doc. explain the cause of C.D. to you?

Did the Doc. explain how it is treated?

Thanks.:happy:

Oops! Forgot to attach the @DJMG signifier to the above post.:oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back