• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General New And Looking For Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gungnir

New Here
Hi, I am new to this site. my wife is diagnosed ptsd. About 6 months ago we moved to a new area. This is a large city, but the mental health system leave a lot to be desired. Our previous town had much better programs. We have yet to be able to find a consular who can help. She went to one who was recommended by the local mental health hospital. That lady didn't let her talk about the root causes and only wanted her to "find her spirit animal" and meditate to a blue rock. She them talked to another who told her how she could get them a lot of new funding with her problems. Aside from these she has been referred to several who keep referring her to each other till she feels like the proverbial "hot potato.

The main mental hospital unit has now told her that they do not have the resources to help more than 6 people at a time. they also stated that they only work with a person for 23 hours. They are the main service for the state. I have spoken to the director of the hospital and he referred me back to places that had referred me to him. The emergency room has even turned her away, saying that they didn't address psychiatric need and if it was a problem than the police should handle it.

She has also called the local hot lines. They have put her on hold, told her to go to a emergence room since they were busy. I have spoken to the hot lines as well. They have told me that they couldn't do much. The consistence here is that everything must take at least 6 months on a waiting list to get in for a medications check of therapists. They have apologized to me on the phone that they are one of the worse places in the country for mental health, and that they just don't have the funding, staff or programs.
Also, my wife is a member of this site. This is the only place where she can get any help.

State of confusion. I am her husband and I have witnessed everything that she has done to get any form of help. I am seeing the effect it is having on her.

If you don't have local resources, there's not much you can do beyond go out of state and not much anyone here can do but recommend that you seek treatment elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back