1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New and Suffering - Told I Have PTSD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jones9690, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jones9690

jones9690 New Member

I was told by my therapist last year that I had PTSD. I am not really sure of the original events which created this as there are many that are possible. Symptoms didn't become life altering until my mother died in my home last year. I feel incapable of doing things I am just kind of trapped and have been for the last year.

I would apprciate any advise.
    Thanks

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Monarch

Monarch I'm a VIP Premium Member

What do you mean by trapped?

4. jones9690

jones9690 New Member

I am emotionally imprisoned. This is very dificult as I am a special ed. teacher. I feel as though I can't make it through each day.

5. Monarch

Monarch I'm a VIP Premium Member

I understand, I think everyone with PTSD is emotionally detatched at times. For me it becomes a thought process where I tell myself, you HAVE TO do this. I don't know about you but I have anxiety issues and when I feel a panic attack coming on I trying to control by changing my thought process, telling myself it isn't real, or I have to get control. It is all very hard work but I manage to keep it in check most of the time. Are you in therapy?

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Welcome Jones and Monarch,

PTSD will shut you down, literally, in a mental and physical state. There is one way past PTSD, and one way only, deal with your trauma, the fear you live from each and every moment from that trauma. Until you deal and come to terms with your trauma, you will never be free from the major symptoms of PTSD.

PTSD is one of those things that when you just think you have it under control, bam... something happens in your life and all symptoms are raging out of control once again. People think this by merely taking medication, in that they think it will control PTSD, which it won't and never has. Medication takes the edge of the symptoms a little, giving you room to get on with trauma therapy and healing. Medication won't allow you to continue on a rosy normal path with PTSD... well, the PTSD won't allow it actually.

We can certainly help... I would suggest you read as much as possible on the forum first, as you will find huge learning and interesting aspects of experience, education and knowledge here already. Then all you have to do, is really ask and talk about your unique individual circumstances along the way.

7. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

Hi :)
    Welcome!!!!

dealing/recovering with PTSD is no easy task.
    but this forum has tons of great advice and lots of people who can relate to your pain.

Take care of yourself

8. purdyamos

purdyamos Active Member

Hi Jones! Welcome to the club.

Unfortunately, trauma can lay dormant until much later in life when something (your mother's death) sets the ball rolling and it all comes back to knock you for six. Being totally shut down is survival tactic number one. Don't worry, your body and brain are going through a process that's just begun, and sure won't be easy. But luckily, you've found this site sooner rather than later. Take your time and read up - the info sections and advice are great. I have no idea what your trauma was, but it will emerge in time, but you'll be better equipped to face it. Someone somewhere on this site will have had a comparable event. But every one of us has had the same feelings, gone through the same process. Good luck - and don't forget; we're here.

9. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Welcome aboard Monarch and Jones. We are glad you found us. Recovering a very hard process, but it doesn't have to be a forever long process. Tackle it and you'll be able to function better through the day. It does get better. Take care.

10. mac

mac Active Member

This is how my brain feels: :poke: a lot of times... like I am being tortured, and I CAN'T FIGHT BACK because I am imprisoned. I understand how you feel. This is a great place though... welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar