1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New Eating Habits - Eating Healthy Showing Benefits

Discussion in 'Social' started by Portabella, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

So, I am really trying to change my lifestyle when it comes to consumption. I have all but cut pop out of my diet and drink water water water. Now I have been doing this for several weeks now and somethng strange happened last night and I am hoping that this has something to do with it. I slept through until 9:00 a.m. Now, to someone else this may seem like nothing, but I am lucky and I mean lucky to sleep until 6 a.m. I have actually been having headaches and such from the caffeine withdrawls, but they are starting to subside. I am trying so hard to modify and cut back on all yukky foods, you see I am overweight, but more so I eat horrible. So, I am not dieting, I am just cutting out most junk and trying to fill the void with healthy foods. I may whine from time to time during this transition as I am not going to lose alot, but will come out much healthier in the long run.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I'm sure it does make a difference Portabella. Proper diet does help me to sleep better. Plus caffeine can really screw up your sleeping, even if you only drink it early on in the day. So cutting that out has probably helped you to sleep better as well. Oh and btw, if you have headaches, drink even more water, it helps. Sometimes headaches are partially caused by being dehydrated.

4. Portabella

I am drinking so much water right now it unreal. I have been having headaches but they seem to be lightening up a bit. I figured it might be me kicking the caffeine as you have no idea how much I used to drink. (Coffee, Mountain Dew, Full Throttle, and Starbucks Double shots) this was daily. My body is wondering what I am doing and I am sure its pissed right now as I crave double shots so bad. I am doing fairly well with giving up all the others. But, you have to realize with all the junk I used to drink I am also cutting my sugar by a mile and calories by about 1200 daily. Yeah, just by giving up my pop and energy drinks. Weird huh?

5. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

I am so glad that you started this subject. I have wanted to but....I really think that eating healthy is also part of therapy. When we get rid of all of the junk and fill up on good healthy stuff, it has to do wonders for our bodies. I have been eating healthy for the past 2 yrs and (not that I am losing weight) I feel so much better. Even. I don't get the sugar highs, and then the crashes again.

I just eat tons of fruits, veggies, and chicken and tuna. No white breads or rice. All brown bread and rice. Yes I do have some sweet things, but I control how much. Well at least I'd like to think I do.

But anyway, I really do think that eating healthy, and exercise is truly important in recovery.

Thanks for bringing this up. Now I don't feel like a health nut preaching my wares.......

Wendy

6. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Even before my PTSD symptoms started I have been working on eating healthier. Since they started, I've been working harder to eat better. It's gotten to be such a habit that my family has stopped bitching about it! LOL

I agree with the water, water, water! We keep bottles and bottles of water in the fridge instead of sugary stuff. Although I will admit that I like sweet iced tea. An occasional soda is much better than two or three a day.

Funny thing though, since I don't eat that much sugar anymore, when I do give in to a craving for a donut or pastry, I end up feeling sick to my stomach.

I've become more conscious of my health (eating and exercising) with the PTSD. I guess good can come out of not so good after all.

Lisa

7. Portabella

I gave in today and went and got myself some Crystal Light lemonade. I have yet to have a glass, but I assume it will be a nice refreshing treat.

8. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Port, well done. You will actually be surprised just how much diet affects you, and yes, the change in your diet will affect how PTSD symptoms display. Sleep for example will change. Its like giving up drinking or smoking, it will change your symptoms. Caffeine another, fatty foods affect symptoms. Diet is an important part of managing PTSD. Eat crap, you feel like crap. Eat healthy and you feel healthy. Exercise and it all just keeps getting better.

You will actually find that if you cut all the sugar and fatty foods from your diet, replace them all with only healthy foods, you will lose quite a substantial amount of weight because the way your body metabolises those foods compared to fatty foods is vastly different. Healthy foods are more rich in nutrients, so you will often find yourself going to the toilet more because your body gets what it needs nutrient wise and disposes of the rest, compared to fatty foods, it doesn't get the nutrients needed so it keeps more of the fatty components and stores them so the body can continue running... even though its an unhealthy method, the body must do it to survive.

Never dismiss how much being healthy plays with PTSD.... your now learning this for yourself after such a short time. I run daily / near daily 5km, I walk, I eat healthy food, lots of it too... and don't put weight on this way, because you cannot eat too much fruit, vegetables and salads... impossible. You can't call vegetables healthy if you drown them in a fatty sauce of the like.... so obviously commonsense plays mostly.

Port, well done and please keep up your new found lifestyle change, because its important to your health, well being and how PTSD acts upon you. It makes a difference, a real noticable difference to some PTSD symptoms.

9. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Port, change in diet goes a long way. Now I have not slowed down in my weight gain as of yet but I did change some habits. When I started to feel better during withdrawal I was eating an amazing amount of tomato, onion, peppers, and cilantro. Still eating a tortilla chip at the same time but I was shoveling in veggies. Hubs bought several more tomatoes today as I said I was not sure it was my head or really the veggies, but it was working at making me feel good. Smoothies and a lot of fresh veggies do wonders to give you a good energy, not the crappy wired kind caffeine does.

Keep up the good diet and glad you are seeing the change.