1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New Here - Diagnosed with Complex PTSD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FMXrider, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FMXrider

FMXrider New Member

I don’t know what to say for a intro. I’m not even to sure why I joined. I’m 19 and I was told I had ptsd when I was 15. I’ve had a hand full of Psychiatrists. The one I had for about 3 years was the first to tell us I had ptsd. The last two I have had say the same but one said I have chronic ptsd. Me and him clashed and I have got a new one that I been seeing for the summer (so far I like him) but he said I go complex ptsd. I’m just confused on how they have different names.
    No one has ever sat with me explained the crap to me. When something happens and I tell him all he says is well that’s part of the ptsd or that’s the ptsd. Yea, that really helps! (sarcasm)

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi FMX,

You will do great here....TONS of information to read, and tons of support. PTSD is PTSD to me(My opinion only) To me it doesn't matter if you have had 1 trauma, or 100. Trauma is trauma, hurt is hurt, pain is pain, It all leads to PTSD. Sucks to be us, sucks to have it, but we do, and we do the best that we can. So join the group, join the bandwagon to recovery.

Wendy

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi FMX, nice name by the way, huge fan off FMX myself. People think there is a difference between labels, when in fact its not so much a difference diagnostically speaking, its the label that signifies a difference in what "caused" your PTSD and/or the "severity" of one's PTSD.

People think that one is lesser than the other, etc etc... and this is proven from bullyonline, where they try and make people believe that they all have complex PTSD from being bullied, where infact that is quite wrong. To have PTSD end of story, you must have met all the diagnostic criteria, which includes both mental and physical attributes that a shrink measures. Once you meet all the mental, physical and lifestyle attributes, they then diagnose you based on certain factors, such as amount of trauma, little or lots. One or several usually gets acute, chronic or severe. Those who have PTSD from abuse over a duration, ie. child abuse, abusive relationships, etc; end up with complex PTSD, meaning they have PTSD caused from traumatic events constantly within their lives, they lived in fear for a long duration, or were constantly being re-exposed to trauma daily/weekly. That is what complex PTSD is... an identification label stating to any physician that you have suffered prolonged traumatic events, which typically means you will be harder to deal with than someone who has only suffered one or two events relating to therapy itself.

PTSD is PTSD, have no doubt about that, it is merely the labelling that goes alone with it that gives a "designator" as such to physicians for easy outlining of traumatic history. If I walked in to any shrink and said I had combat PTSD, they would immediately know I was a veteran and suffered PTSD from exposure to war zones. Combat PTSD doesn't exist yet, though is scheduled to be included along with others in the DSM V in the next couple of years. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, which means I have extreme anger and rage associated to my trauma, and I display the same as part of that when upset.

Just a label mate, nothing to panic about. You have PTSD, that is the end of the story, because it is PTSD that means your left and right brain hemispheres have already imbalanced, and you are no longer curable. Yes, PTSD is not curable. It is a lifetime mental illness to date, no cure exists, though you can learn how to control it and live life within reasonable limits.

5. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Welcome FMX ,Listn to Anthony he is very wise and he is right PTSD is PTSD no matter what way you look at There is no cure no matter how bad we want it to be. But we can learn to live with it as it seems you have been doing ok by seeing help. Good luck and may you find all the info you need and the support this is a great pplace with great people, now you are one of them.Welcome again

nie likes this.
  6. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Welcome to the forum, FMX. Adding my voice that PTSD is PTSD. Labeling it different ways might be help the helpers (psychiatrists/psychologists), but here we all deal with it and how it affects our lives.

Yeah, it can be frustrating when your doctor says 'That's part of PTSD'. But figuring out what's causing you to feel/act a certain way can help you with your recovery. Every time (and I mean every time) I've asked a question here about something new or different that was happening to me, I've had a number of people tell me that they've dealt with it as well. It's a bit of a comfort to realize that you're not alone in all of this.

Again, welcome.
    Lisa

nie likes this.
  7. FMXrider

FMXrider New Member

thanks everybody.
    i understand it better now why they all chose different "titles" i guess.
    Not really happy about it never going away but I knew that anyway. It does scare me.

But thanks every one.

@ Anthony.. wow lol i never expected another fmx fan to be here. it's pretty cool.

8. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

Welcome to the forum!!!

9. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Mad fan.... set the foxtel to record all the weeks FMX shows for me, then sit down when time permits watching them all. I used to race motocross back in my younger days, went pro for a few months, then got interested in cars and girls instead. Not sure if that was the best decision or not now.... rather be on a bike IMO.

10. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum FMX. Hope you find it helpful. Three of my sons were heavy into FMX when younger, nephew is big into it now. Drives the wife crazy. She refuses to watch, imagining injuries. However. Do enjoy watching it myself.

Jim.

11. FMXrider

FMXrider New Member

Thanks Pandora and Jim.
    I raced one motocross race when I was on my 80 but I hated going around and around.. lol so the 1 time was it for me.
    Jim, it scares my mom too.

12. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Just would like to say Hi, FMX and Welcome to the forum!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar