• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer New Member. Ptsd With Delayed Onset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akflyin

New Here
Hello. My Name is Dave and have been looking for a support group for years. My near death experience and PTSD trigger was aboard a US Coast Guard Aircraft as a flight crew member. We had an engine failure that caused one of the propellers to separate and tear a 5 x 6 foot hole in the side of the aircraft. That occurred in 1992 in Alaska. The flight crew, my self included, were denied a critical incident stress debriefing after that flight which I believe to this day was a major factor in my PTSD diagnosis.

I continued flying for another 8 years before the beginning signs of PTSD began to appear in the form of major panic attacks. I was taken off flight status in 1999 while the medical retirement proceeded. It was during this idle time in my transition to civilian life that I really became aware of the fact that I had changed. I became disconnected from social surroundings. My emotions were getting raw. I felt more connected to previous Coast Guard Aviation flight crews that flew and never came back than I did with my current fellow aviators. It got so intense that I painted a wall murial depicting the aircraft performing their search and rescue missions when they perished. It has been emotional battle since then. I look forward to sharing "my" story with this forum in future posts. I also want to extend my appreciation to everyone who has shared a bit of "their" story here.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the PTSD Forum! :)

I hope you find the information and support here helpful as you work on healing.

Wishing you the best.

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back