• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

New Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melp283

Confident
Psychiatrist put me on Ritalin ER last week. Total game changer. My brain isn't fuzzy with a constant uncontrollable hum of thoughts, I can stay on track and finish tasks, and I can actually hold a conversation!
I had breakfast with my husband and another couple and I participated the whole time!!
I'm so relieved that this seems to be working for me, but I'm also a little worried that it's all in my head.
Will anyone else share their experience?

Happy for you! I may ask my psychiatrist about it. No experience with it yet. Do you take it with or without an SSRI?

I'm glad it helps you! I don't have ADD/ADHD so my genius *rolls eyes* ex-Psychiatrist put me on it and it sent me through the roof.

I was on Ritalin for a while - it was incredibly WONDERFUL. I had the same experience - I could focus. You're not imagining anything.

Unfortunately it gave me angina (a recognized side-effect) and so I stopped.

I've taken most of the ADHD meds on the market at one time or another. 2 have even come close to being my personal 'Magic Wands' (definition: let's me keep all the ADHD stuff I like, while ditching the stuff that vexes me). Most of the time I just take the edge off with PRN caffeine & nicotine, as I haven't found a med that let's me keep all of what I love about ADHD.

Ritalin/Methylphenidate family is one of the families of drugs I can't take (makes me nauseous & stomps on my emotions... I become a personality free, slightly green, robot)... <grin> But I've had that OMG! Wow! experience on certain other meds & classes. Technically it is all in your head, though ;) Cause that's where your brain is! Cheers.

When I started ADD meds for the first time, I was like WHOA... I had no idea it could be so easy to be calmer and focused and NOT FIDGET endlessly. It is like suddenly my mind is clearer and calmer. I go on and off the meds now, depending on what I need my brain to do, and how much I want the old me back. But it's a great tool for those who need it - I'm glad it's working for you!

"So this is how it is for NORMAL people?" That was my response to ADD meds. Not healthy enough to tolerate it every day tho. I read an academic article from start to finish in one sitting for the first time EVER (some thirty years)

Game changer indeed!

Happy for you! I may ask my psychiatrist about it. No experience with it yet. Do you take it with or without an SSRI?

Yes, I've been on Luvox for about 5 months now. It has really helped with my depression, but I still had this overwhelming brain scramble everyday. So we started the Ritalin as well. So far, so very good!

And yes Friday you are right, technically it is all in my head :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back