• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General New Relationship With Guy Who Has PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
forgive me if im doing this all wrong as im not used to forums, but i felt this would be a good place to learn how to handle what im about to go through in the most effective way possible. i am completely greatful for any help anyone here is able to give me.

i just met a guy who i felt immediately fond of, he's such a nice guy...he's really a sweetheart. at first we both seemed mutually head over heals and i thought it was just perfect. before hand he DID indicate apprehensions about meeting up with me (afraid of new social encounters), i thought nothing of it and assumed he had a little anxiety. after a few dates he made mention that he recently had a traumatic effect from a bad reaction to pot, he said his senses went crazy, he was hallucinating, and the experience kind of messed him up. After the event he had re-occurring experiences of the trauma and he was hospitalized for maybe a week.

He's now on several medications including anti-depressants and anti-psychotics (this happened maybe a year ago). Though i didn't notice it at first, im now realizing he's quite distant and his moods are constantly shifting. We'll have a good interaction (such as an intimate discussion) and after he seems very positively effected....then several seconds later i see some kind of sad emptiness in his eyes. At first i was feeling really hurt and confused, like i was giving him all the good things i had to offer and it wasn't making him happy, NOW im realizing it's not to do with me.

We had a long talk when i confronted him him about reserving feelings from me, he has a VERY hard time expressing himself but i often play the psychiatrist role for my friends so I'm good at getting to the bottom of things. I helped him see the reality of some of his feelings and how he was distorting his view of things and he seemed grateful that i was able to help him sort through feelings he didn't understand.

Right now im trying to understand exactly how one goes about treating this problem..and as a girlfriend what can i do to be as supportive as possible? im also trying to keep my own feelings in mind....as a 21 year old college girl is this going to drain me of too much energy? i feel horrible that such a nice guy has to go through this at such a young age (23) i wish i could fix him but i don't want it to mess up MY focus. at his age is this somthing he will be stuck with for the rest of his life? can it be 100% treated? when he's zoning out or generating negative feelings what can i do to counteract that and provide a calm for him?

WOW you nailed it!! That is what I am going through with my husband right now! The being quite distant and his moods are constantly shifting--is exactly my man!! I am hoping it gets better..I dont understand how one treats it either..I know talking helps or some kind of communication - writing it done basically releasing it from their mind. My husband is getting help -- is your man? Does he have a trusted counseler? Seems to helping mine most days. It is so hard to see them suffer! I am with you and so want to heal them!! Cant do it..I have been trying for 14 years..they need someone other than us. I do believe they can get help..I must believe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back