1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New to Forum - Hit By Drunk Driver

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sibemom, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sibemom

sibemom Active Member

Hello,
    I found your forum doing a search for groups on PTSD. Last Novemeber I was hit by a drunk driver and have been left with mulitple injuries visiable and invisable. My docs are really good but I needed to find somewhere to talk with other who understand about what is happening and what has happened to me. I looking forward to reading and learning so that I may assist in helping myself cope with and try to heal from this.

Ann

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Ann,

Welcome to the forum and glad you found us. I guess the positive side to this, is that your still alive... what happened to the driver? Charged???

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

sibemom - I just arrived here myself, and also have become ill following an accident (also last November). It is a terrible shock to have your life change so suddenly. I often feel that someone has switched not only my life and my body, but my mind for someone else's. I want to carry on as normal, but my body/ brain don't work properly.
    What physical changes have you had? How are you recovering?
    That it happens so suddenly without warning makes the whole thing seem unreal. To try and deal with such massive changes is difficult enough when you are feeling well, but sometimes seems impossible when you are sick.

The most important thing I've learnt so far, is to not try and push yourself to get better, give your body and mind time to heal. Learn to listen to your body and pay attention to when it needs to rest. And while that is happening, try to find joy and contentment in small, simple things (even in just being alive). Sorry if any of this sounds obvious and patronising, it has taken me so long to learnt these things, I want to share them.

Take care

5. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Hi Sibemom. Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your trauma, but I'm glad you found us. There are others here who have gone through trauma similar to yours and can help you out.

6. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Welcome sibermom. :hello: Glad you've found us.

7. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

hey, welcome!

8. sibemom

sibemom Active Member

Thank you all for the welcome. Daisy The changes I have had are so numerous and I am still in that DENIAL stage where I do not want to believe that what is no longer there IS NO LONGER THERE. I have flashbacks, nightmares, tremors, panic attacks all the symptoms to the extreme of PTSD, I also have RSD, combined with cervical spine damage, lumbar spine damage, and an unstable pelvis. I also have a Traumatic Brain Injury, which causes almost like mini weird seizures which at first the Doc's thought were just from the PTSD, but now are leaning towards the scaring that they see in brain. I have been on the roller coaster of meds, but for me this is not the route I can go any longer. Zoloft was Ok, Wellbutrin seemed to work better but because of the seizures I had to go off of it. I AM SO TIRED OF MEDICINE, and I know they are just trying to help me but I am putting my foot down and DEMANDING ALTERNATIVES! I suppose I was predesposed to this because I was a battered woman who knows all I know is the so strange because I thought I had worked through the other horriable trauma's in my life but obviously NOT! I am angery, even though that is a waste of energy which I do not have alot of. I do have a very good Neuro Psychiatrist who is going the distance for me not only in the treatment phase but as an advocate for me to attain SSD. What sucks about this whole mess is the fact that I also have stress from having my 3 older sons in the Military all of them are oversea's with one being in Iraq. NOT EASY TO DEAL WITH AT THIS TIME, and I also have a 5 year old son left at home. I am hoping that finding this forum will help me at least understand that I am not alone in this MESS! My husband does his best to understand but it's hard because I don't understand it but I am trying, and I do think I am getting to the point where I am starting JUST A LITTLE to accept the NEW ME, I don't like it but I am trying to deal.

Ann

9. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Ann, I just wanted to say welcome.

10. sibemom

sibemom Active Member

To answer your question Anthony, Yes she was charged but due to the fact she has a special needs child she was let out for a few hours each day to take care of her. I am not going to say I have lost all the anger for this woman and I want to know if she cared so much for her child why was she driving DRUNK????? Justice does not prevail in this case, because out of the 120 days she was sentenced she only served 60 and not even full days. I KNOW LET IT GO CONCENTRATE ON HEALING:hit-boss: . I guess though when I look at how my family has been put through such horrific upset and financial loss with me not being able to go back to work and when I look at my own small child and realize what he has to put up with having me for a mom now, I guess YEAH I AM STILL REALLY TICKED OFF:angry-fla

11. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

As you should be. It's ok.

12. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

hey hon.

Not talking much at the mo, but anger is allowed. . . . .

at least I hope it is. Or I am totally screwed.

13. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Ann, there is great difference between an accident, negligence, stupidity and putting oneself in the line of danger. You are a victim of negligence, and I actually think you have every right in the world to be angry with this girl, because she was negligent, she did break the law, all of which then involved you as a consequence to her stupidity, thus now affecting your life unneccesarily.

Sometimes anger is good for a while, as that alone helps us later down the road. Sure, being angry our entire life doesn't exactly help us in any way, which I guess is where we look at why where angry, opposed to just angry. I feel for you Ann, because that is every parents nightmare... being hit or killed by a stupid act of ignorance, neglect and selfishness, driving drunk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar