• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

New To Forum - PTSD From Abusive Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemels

Confident
Hi Guy an Gals,:hello:

Since i am new to this forum i thought i would start by introducing myself. I'm Jeni, i'm 25 and i live in Manchester; UK. (although i sent the wrong time settings by mistake :doh:) I have been diagonosed with PTSD for 2 months now although the doctor seems to think i've been suffering for almost a year.

Last April (2008) i managed to leave my abusive (now ex) boyfriend, after suffering 7 1/2 years of mental and physical abuse from him. Since i have no money and 2 kids to look after i can't afford to move so most of my PTSD triggers are my house enviroment in which i still live in. I get flashbacks, blankouts, shakes, anxiety attacks, depression and what i can only refer to as memory pain (pain that seems to be in the same place as where it was when i was suffering the abuse, although no pain killers seem to abolish the pain).

My new partner (Lee) who was my best mate for 10 years before we got together helped me leave my ex by taking me away to Blackpool out of the way and let me stay in his static caravan. He has been such a strong shoulder to lean on through my abuse and now my PTSD, but i do feel bad about putting all this stress and strain onto him. :stupid:

I was searching the internet (on google) for a PTSD forums and found you guys and thought i would drop in and say hello, i've been looking for a while for people that are or have experienced the same as me to chat to :smile:

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Hemmy xXx

hello Hemels:hello:You have come to the right place:smile:
Welcome to the most informative, careing forum:Hug_emoticon:
Pebs

Welcome to the forum Hemels!

I too am unable to move (and we're not sure we want to) from my current home which was also the site of my trauma (well ONE of my sources of trauma as I've now begun to accept) over the course of the past two years. And boy howdy do I understand what it's like living in that space amongst those triggers can be like--sounds of the floor creaking, smells, just the way you orient to the space.

I hope this site can be as helpful to your recovery as it is proving to be for mine. Definitely helps to know we are not alone in our struggles. There are many good tips and ideas for grounding and management strategies woven throughout the stories and posts. And the mere act of sharing seems to help some. All three of these things keep me coming back several times a week.

Again welcome and best to you on your road to recovery. :smile:

~Blues

Hi Hemels,

hang in there. I hope you are getting help for the PTSD? I'm in an environment that triggered me for sometime and can't move away. I am coping fine now, but will hope to eventually move. It will end and with love and support you will get through. Practical things that can help are to decorate, move furniture around, change things and slowly write over the memories. That approach helped me a lot.

Welcome and get what you can from the forum.

dust

Hi guys,

i've been pritty much ill and un sociable for a good couple of months since i posted this. Everything seemingly triggered me off so i didn't want to come on here and read about what others were going through just incase that set me off too. I went back to my GP and he has put me on Citalopram 20mg to calm me down. So far so good although i do seem to get trigger lots.

I'm hoping to get some insight into others issues revolving around PTSD and hopefully get to understand my symptons of it. My GP told me i have C-PTSD but i cannot distinguish what the difference between the 2 is other then Complex-PTSD is give to those that suffered for long periods of time instead of just one single event. Does anyone else suffer from C-PTSD and are they able to tell me what the difference is please :) ?

All the best hope peeps are keeping well

Hemmy xXx

HEMELS
Hi I am a new member as well. In fact I am so new that I am worried when posting a reply that I am doing it correctly. I am just thick as two bricks some days. I am also new to the diagnosis. What I am trying at the moment is when I am starting to feel overwhelmed I look at the clock get a packet of tissues and sit down and give myself 5 minutes to feel sad angry or cry. Usually by the time I am organised the dreadful moments have passed and then I get up and get on with my chores. This is giving me backsome control over me I guess. Hang in there days have to get better. You could be living in freezing cold Australia this month. Hear from you again methinks1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back