1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New to PSTD Forum - Teenage Daughter Diagnosed with PTSD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mom1hs1coll, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mom1hs1coll

mom1hs1coll New Member

Hi,
    I am a mom whose teenage daughter was recently diagnosed w/PSTD. At first I could not believe it, but then like pieces of a puzzle things began coming together to make sense. I do not feel alone, but do feel that sometimes people do not understand if they have not walked in similiar shoes. I stumbled on to this website from a link, funny because I was not looking for it. As a mom I just want her to be happy and whole again and above all begin to love again. She is suffering from the tragic suicide of a friend. Of course there is more to it, but I only feel I can say that for now. Thank you and Blessings.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Mom,

Welcome to the forum. Suicide is never a nice thing, and I would assume that because you daughter has PTSD as a result, then she found her friend possibly, or had a direct impact to the suicide itself.

4. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

welcome to the forum. i am sorry your daughter had to go through what she did. How wonderful that she has a mother like yourself to help her!

5. Boo-Damphir

Boo-Damphir Active Member

Hopefully in time your daughter can find the strength and her voice and join us here too. Thanks for being "that Mom" :crybaby: this can't be easy for you to watch.

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of info here. There is also a great section for those who support and care for those of us with PTSD.

7. Kims_Man

Kims_Man Active Member

Hi Mom,

Welcome! There is much to be had here for both your daughter and yourself. Please feel free to visit the Spouses threads, as I'm sure there are lots of similarities between what you are going through and what we, as spouses, are going through.

Again, welcome, and keep up the loving support.

8. permban0008

permban0008 Policy Enforcement Banned

Hi Mom,

Welcome to the forum. Heaps of great info here that should be able to help you, help your daughter. As Kim's Man says, much of what you will be experiencing you will find in the spouse's forum........though the rest of the area's are not restricted to you (except for the PTSD only) where you can gain some valuable insight into what may be troubling your girl.

9. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Hi Mom! Welcome to the forum.

I am in a bit of a unique situation (until others in my situation find this place that is) since I am a PTSD suffer as is my son. Parenting with PTSD can be really hard. My son is only 11 and getting him to communicate is very difficult.

First things first. Children (including teenagers) react to their PTSD differently than adults (lord, have I learned this). Read everything you can get your hands on. Try and open up a discussion about how she feels, how she reacts and NEVER make the slightest, sound, facial expression, tone, or wording that may been seen as judgemental. Be prepared to change your parenting style, household rules and how to react. Know the difference between her actual PTSD symptoms and using those symptoms to the fullest extent to get what they want (the handy-dandy child syndrome. LOL).

Lord, I lost my train of thought!! LOL

Bec

10. mom1hs1coll

mom1hs1coll New Member

Thanks for all your wonderful adivce and support. I will take advantage of the spouse's forum. I am encourged.
    mom1hs1coll

11. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

Hey mom,
    nice to meet you.
    It's hard to get your head around being young and with ptsd (hell, it only happens in 'nam vets right) so it is good that you can support your daughter.

It must be so hard for her, loosing her friend like that. I remember when my cousin died when I was 15. I was having a rough tme on my own and refused to deal with it. It's only now, seven years later, with a lot of other memories and feelings coming back, that I have even started feeling the grief that I should have when I was a kid.

Support is a wonderful thing, both for her and for you.

cass
    i'm babbling again, aren't I?

12. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

hmm

There is a book that my social worker has given me info in. It's about adolescents and PTSD.

the author is Leah Giarratano, the book Clinical skills for treating traumatised adolescents: evidence based treatment for ptsd.

Yes it is a clinical guide but it does have some info on thought patterns that may help you with your daughter.
    cass

13. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Member

Hi Mom

Hi Mom, I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter is suffering because of her friend's suicide. What an awful thing for everyone concerned! You were smart to take her to a professional for help. I am praying that your daughter (and you and your whole family) comes through this as easily as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar