1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New to PTSD and This Forum - Delayed Onset of PTSD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Aunnika, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunnika

Aunnika New Member

Hello - I'm Aunnika. Started therapy and learned I have PSTD. Also learned there are some people more likely to develop PTSD than others. Apparently, my childhood evironment/upbringing predisposed me and my current symptoms are from two seperate traumatic episodes in my life (at least at this point in therapy :rolleyes:)
    One episode: Witnessing a brutal rape of a person I knew, powerless to stop it, my life threatened at the time it occurred and after I testified in court
    Second: Serious Auto Accident (I was not supposed to live). At first I did not remember the accident or the events leading up to it. Had some help with recall of events leading to the accident (still cloudy). But I am unable to remember most of it. I have flashbacks from both of these, lessened a bit over time.

All this time I believed it was normal and was really just happy I was alive and survived both experiences. Now that I am older, my symptoms are effecting my ability to recover from some experiences. Also having trouble with identifying my feelings about my emotions - Very delayed.
    I am a Nurse and I live in the Northern Bay Area of California
    Nice to find this site and others to learn from and share. Nice to not feel alone with some of my Symptoms.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome to the forum. I had a very long delay in the onset of symptoms that seemed to suddenly put the brakes on in life. So I guess I know what it is like to spend a long time grateful to the "what just happened?"

4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Hi and welcome o the forum......

5. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Welcome to the forum!

bec

6. vst

vst Active Member

Welcome to the forum. My symptoms have been with me a very long time, but I just didn't recognize them for what they were. The diagnosis was very delayed. You are not alone, I am not alone and no one on this forum is alone. Isn't life great!
    Blessings,
    vst

7. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hello, Aunnika.

I too have had symptoms for a long time, but it took many, many years for them to get bad enough for me to seek help and get a diagnosis.

Welcome to the forum.

Lisa

8. nie

nie Wishing for wings to fly. Premium Member Donated

:hello: Welcome to the forum

9. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi, welcome to the forum.

10. Palakika

Palakika New Member

Hi, welcome to the forum

11. Lisa