1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New to PTSD - Husband Had Medical Emergency

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RattledWife, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RattledWife

RattledWife New Member

I've been a basket case since New Year's Eve. My husband had a sudden medical emergency and for a period of time, I thought he was dead/dying. It was the single most terrifying experience I've ever been through. I love that man more than anything and can't begin to imagine life without him. Since then, I have had panic attacks, nightmares, flashbacks, often can not sleep, I'm emotionally out of control and am just generally stressed out and depressed. A friend mentioned PTSD, so I looked into it. I'm dealing with most of the various symptoms. My 11 year old daughter has commented that I've become such a zombie. I've read that it's not considered true PTSD until it's been at least 30 days or more, so I'm hopeful that this may pass. But I have always been the strong one who handles life's stressful events. People come to me to help them through tough times. I'm just not dealing well with feeling so out of control. I rationally know what's going on, and why, and know that I'm being irrational - I just can't control it. I don't suppose there's anything one can do to prevent this from being a long term - vs - short term thing, is there? I really feel for those who've suffered with this for years and years... It's only been a few weeks and I already feel like I simply can't live this way - this is just not ME. I hate the idea of losing myself to this, especially since I feel so grateful that my husband came out of his situation 100% okay. We have so much more living to do and I'm just such a wreck. It sucks!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. nov_silence

nov_silence Well-Known Member

Welcome, Rattled Wife. I am sorry to hear about the pain that you are in. Have you suffered any traumatic experiences in the past? If so, it may explain more than you know....

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi RW, welcome to the forum. Now, do not get me wrong here, this is not dismissing your pain, but as nov said above, do you have a past that contains abnormal trauma, ie. rape, molestation, abuse, war, etc etc? If not, then what you are suffering is what is "normal" after effects of a "normal" life trauma, being the death of a loved one, or near death as such. If no previous life abnormal trauma exists, then this is not PTSD, it is what is called PostTraumatic Stress (PTS), without the disorder part which is vastly different. PTS is the normal after response to normal life trauma, ie. death of our loved one or near death from normal medical emergencies, being heart attack, bodily breakdown and so forth.

Now, whilst saying that, PTS must still be treated by effective and immediate followup counselling, to ensure you talk all this out and have feedback specific to your situation. This is what prevents a persons accumulating a lifetime of normal stress to become abnormal trauma within the brain, ie. the brain makes up its own outcomes and causes the chemical imbalance, thus PTSD.

5. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

:hello: Hi RW !

Welcome, hope every thing works out ok hugs to you.

D (wildcritter)

6. RattledWife

RattledWife New Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. As far as the past, no, nothing I would think of as significantly traumatic enough to put me in this situation. Just the normal highs and lows of life I think. No rape, abuse, serious accidents or injury, etc. I appreciate the mention of PTS vs PTSD, that's good info to be aware of. I would guess that is where I am at this point. You know what surprises me more than anything are all the physical effects of this. I can't tell you how sore my upper abdominal muscles are from being constantly tensed up. And I haven't had indigestion like this since I was pregnant. To spare you TMI, let's just say my bowels and digestive system are a mess. I've never been one to sweat much, and now I feel like a pig... I suppose this is all normal in someone feeling this stressed out, I've just never experienced anything like this - at least not for such an extended period of time. So the general concensus here is that I should go ahead and get some counseling now to perhaps ward off this becoming a long-term situation? I really want to feel like myself again!

7. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Yes, counsel now will help a lot. I know I freaked pretty hard when my symptoms were at the fall out phase. My hubs fainted. He had high blood pressure and doc put him on too strong a med and his blood pressure was too low. He fell out with eyes wide open. He said my name funny and as I got up he fell straight backwards like a board. Eyes wide open and sunken. I "knew" he was dead. I called every flipping number on my phone BUT 911. I was trying. My ex ended up being rung and he came as where we were he was quicker than ambulance. It took 30 minutes for them to get to my house.

Yes, it is so stressful to think it is over in a flash. Get some help now so you do not have anything longterm stuck. It will do you a world of good.

8. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Absolutely RW... get counselled now whilst your curable. PTS is curable, and is a normal after effect of lifes trauma, PTSD is not curable, and life will never be quite the same, to say the least. PTS will normally dissipate over time, though you MUST talk all this out with a counsellor immediately.

9. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

Hi RW
    How are you. Your husband came through this emergency, and so have you. As you said that you have always been a problem solver for other people, so have I and my wife. But now it is you that needs the help. Please don't be afraid to ask any of us for advice, that is what we are all here for.
    I am a former Squaddie who served in Bosnia and my problems stem from that time, I have Combat Stress.
    Now that your husband is getting well again, try and go on a holiday together and make up for the times that you lost. Try and act like teenagers again and just unwind and relax.
    Best Wishes
    Scott:hello:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar