1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New to the Forum, Seeking Answers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by easyrider, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easyrider

easyrider New Member

I’ve been back from Iraq for a year now and for the first time since then I’ve been placed and a semi-stressful military school environment. I believe it’s bringing out some behaviors that are the result of my experiences. Mainly when I’m placed in certain situations, such as public speaking where I used just get a little nervous, It seems like I can’t control my nerves. I usually get through it and try my best to hide my internal struggle but if I try to use my hands it’s clear I’m shaking. I first noticed this adrenaline like reaction when I got back and tried to play poker with buddies and would often have difficulty controlling the shaking of my hands when I got excited about a hand. It gets so bad I can’t stack my chips while I’m playing. Before I was a pretty good poker player, now I'm too embarrassed to play. These are just a couple of examples, it affects in everyday situations that used to just make me a little nervous or excited.

I’m assuming this reaction is the result of PTSD. It’s not my only problem but it is the most embarrassing and makes me worried about my ability to function in my future jobs.

Is there anyone else who has experienced this and if so is it something that will eventually go away on it's own or do I need to seek help? If I need help, what would be the process to fix my problem? I don’t want to get diagnosed with PTSD because I don’t want it to affect my future in the military or civilian life afterward.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Welcome to the forum easyrider. Cool name by the way, I love that movie! :)

What you're describing sounds like anxiety/panic to me, which can be from PTSD or one of the lesser anxiety disorders. If it's severe you will need some kind of treatment to have improvement, I don't think it will just go away on its own; and if you really do have PTSD, it definitely won't get any better. CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) and exposure therapy are commonly used as treatments. Some people also take medication and there are other therapies as well.

I understand being afraid to get a diagnosis but without one it I think it will be difficult for you to get proper treatment. Have you taken this PTSD Diagnostic test:

[DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/forms/ptsd-diagnosis/[/DLMURL]

If you answer the questions honestly it should give you some indication of whether or not you have PTSD. But it won't be definite unless you see a doctor and get a formal diagnosis. Your choice though of course. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  4. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

Welcome EasyRider

:hello:Hi,

My hubby (ranger) has been diagnosed with PTSD. When he is having any kind of issue with nervous or anxiety situations he starts to shake (his hands) I don't know if he is aware of it or not. I believe he is. He didn't want to believe he was as deeply effected with PTSD as he is, but things got away from him at a couple of points. He didn't want to be "Officially" diagnosed either for pretty much the same reasons. However; things changed and he needed the help down the road. Even if you don't go for the official reasons, ask a doctor about the "what if's" see what they say. :think:

By the way.. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE IN IRAQ.

I wish you well. :Hug_emoticon:
    Take Care and be safe...

Donna
    aka/wildcritter

5. Seabeevet

Seabeevet Active Member

Easyrider, Please go see someone bring it up. get it documented . It will not hurt your job. telling them about it and seeking help.. If you get out and later go for help you have a better chance from the VA. It is all about the future. get help now and it will pay off later.

Thank you for your service.

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Welcome to the forum easyrider....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar