1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

New to the Group - Trauma and Cancer

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by P. McLean, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P. McLean

P. McLean New Member

I have been working with a therapist for about 10 years on my PTSD. I hope that doesn't worry anybody. I've made great progress. I had another trauma about half way through that set me back - I got cancer. That gave me some extra trauma to work through but, the thing is I'm now a 5 year survivor of that too.
    Things I've been into that have really helped:

Journalling (massive journalling)
    Reading Wayne Dyer books and getting into Intention.
    Getting accupuncture and using Chinese herbs
    Meditiation
    Qi Gong
    Chanting

This morning I made a kind of discovery I hope it helps even more and would be happy if it helped somebody else too. I still go through periods where my emotions just get really stuck. Also I find it difficult to listen to music of any kind to this day. I just long to be able to reconnect with music and its been on my mind this summer. This morning I was alone in my house and feeling pretty stuck. I'm into doing artwork and I felt blocked.
    It occured to me that you could express emotion with just sound and movement with no words. I thought I would just try it and it was really hard kind of scary actually.
    Finally I tried it. I just sat there trying to mediate and get in touch with any kind of feeling so I could make it into a sound. Finally, it started to come, the feelings were probably fear and sadness to start and maybe kind of hysterical. I started just making sounds like that and they scared me really, but I kept going, I thought it sounded like Patti Smith singing, I kept doing it and finally it started changing, got pretty funny and wierd but hey I was totally alone anyway. Finally, it changed and it was like I was just being silly and having fun. It was very freeing and I'm going to keep doing it. The hard part was just not being afraid of expressiing it and actually hearing the sound of your own distress, but I did it and I'm okay, better even.

I feel like though I have had PTSD I am in the latter stages of healing and am going to get better. Finding some kind of spiritual connection seems important. I'm still working with that too, but it can happen - all of it.

Peace and love,

Paula

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Welcome to the forum, Paula.

Lisa

4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi Paula,

Welcome to the forum....:hello:

Wendy

5. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:clap: I'm sooooo glad you found us!!! It's odd that you would bring up just making sounds with your feelings....I remember now I would do that in the past and I have forgotten about it...THANKS for bringing that up and sharing that in your first post :thumbs-up....I rememember doing that specifically at the time that my parents sold my dog off right after I got out of school though I was still at home and planning to go to the local community college....I went to the grove behind the church that I was attending at the time [parents went elsewhere] and kneeled down and just "sang" from my heart as the tears rolled down my face....It was like I was tuning into the natural world around me and releasing my pain into it....I did that on more than on one occasion....I am going to start doing that again....See...you just never know what something that you share will reach out and touch and remind people something they really need!!!! :loopy:....SPREADING THE PEACE

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Paula, welcome to the forum and very glad you have shared some of your experience, and I too truly hopes it helps another also. People often fail to see how much experience they have which can and will help another, even one little bit, is better than nothing at all. This forum helps piece them all together, so those here continuously learn more.

7. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

hey paula, welcome to the forum! thanks for sharing your helps.
    cathy

8. fin

fin I'm a VIP

Good grief this forum bowls me over time and again. Thankyou Paula. Wherever you are right now I thank you. I hope with my whole heart that you are doing well.

~fin

9. Blues in NYC

Blues in NYC Active Member

Paula,

Welcome. Thanks for being so generous in sharing accounts of your hope, creativity and risk taking from your recovery and management. It feels infectious in a good way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar