• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

New Year Healthy Eating Thread 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 1860
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1860

So I thought I'd start a New Year healthy eating thread where we can discuss goals for the upcoming year and such in terms of eating. I know that eating well can really make us feel better, and its great to have support from others as well.

This is meant to be a support thread for any and all, whether you want to just cut out one or two types of foods or if you want to revamp your whole diet.

I'm trying to switch my diet over to leaner meats and healthier carbs. I'm also gluten free and trying to eliminate all soy and corn in my diet as well. Its definitely an adjustment for me as I'm incorporating exercise as well, so I'm trying to find a good balance! The upside of the exercise is that I can finally sleep without medications, so I'm not willing to let that go. Rather, its my diet that needs to be tweaked so that I can meet my physical goals.

I've been pretty successful so far. In the past I have had mainly lower carb days and then an occasional carb-up day and my body does well with that.

I want to try, and follow to every little point, the low-FODMAP diet, for health reasons. My intestines hate me, and whenever I eat anything more than the size of a cup my stomach goes crazy and whenever I eat something else than a very limited group of foods, my entire digestive system goes monkey crazy and decides to bring on a hell. It's often very to extremely painful, sometimes a discomfort/slight pain I can't really explain. The last one is constant, unless I've gone a couple days without food (in other words; emptied my system). This has also messed up my relationship to food quite a bit.

Else than that I'm not eating candy, snacks, buns, cakes, etc or drinking soda, energy drinks, milkshakes etc. I've had one slip-up where I ate a slice of cake at school because I simply forgot, but it's not that much of a deal. My main thing is not to eat candy or snacks. So far successful, the only things I even like are potato chips and chocolate (picky eater over here) :p

With exercise I've got some goals for running routes and rock climbing and strength training, most of them are to actually do it. I really like exercising, but I can't function well enough in the morning and the risk of meeting other people is way too high during the day.

I have a fair amount of weight I need to lose. I have an addiction to food :( it has ruined my life! I am working on not binge eating and eating a balanced diet. I am not cutting any food groups out just eating in moderation. Has been 2 months now and I haven't binged so am feeling really proud of myself. I go walking for exercise, this morning I did an 8km walk and will be going for another walk tonight. It will be a longish process to lose the weight but it is my new lifestyle :)

I'm four days grain/gluten, dairy and sugar free. I decided the easiest way to diet was to eat "Whole Foods" - so meat, fish/seafood, veg, fruit and nuts. Mostly I'm eating veg, with some meat, though the majority of my calories come from fat. No faffing around with specifics, just eat natural, tbh not a massive change just a bit of a clean up around the edges. It's nearly paleo but not because I'll eat root veg/pulses from time to time, could add in brown/wild rice but as I'm not actually keen on rice so I don't really see the point. After a month or so, I'm sure I'll eat a small amount of spelt or rye bread once in a blue moon.

Way To Go! :tup:

Over the past three years I detoxed from sugar, processed foods and all Animal products.

I am now cutting back on gluten as it seems to upset my system.

I have my moments, I still occasionally eat a slice of two of pizza or get a cup of coffee with cream and sugar when I'm out and about, but I don't have any of that stuff in the house and I keep it to a minimum so that it doesn't upset my stomach or make me anxious or irritable.

I am still quite overweight but have been (ever so slowly) losing weight and my mind is calmer, my food cravings gone for the first time since I was a kid.

I don't know if it will work for you but for me taking Cinnamon capsules twice daily and drinking Apple Cider Vinegar (8oz water, 2tsp. ACV, pinch of cinnamon) balances blood sugar and cuts my cravings dramatically.

Last edited:
I very much appreciate this thread. After being bed ridden for multiple years (due to inappropriate treatment and medications) I am learning to walk several times a day for 5-20 minutes. Not running yet. With the modifications of my diet, a better form of medications and building slowly the strength to exercise I have lost over 100 pounds

As a part of this new beginning I, too, am on track with eating a predominantly "clean kitchen" diet. Clean kitchen implies that food in the fridge is fresh and/or organic and eaten within a day or two. I do keep meats in the freeze and a couple of organic frozen meals for when I am craving a higher protein level in my foods. I am still on the coffee and slowly dosing down on the sugars. The is a new product called coconut coffee that can be made with hot water or milk which is naturally sweet and about half the caffeine. This or anything that has a tremendous value of natural fiber. Plus, I try to stay mostly Gluten or wheat free, since it seems to be the main source of tummy troubles for me. I notice I tend to want more sugars when I eat process breads, etc.

I buy fresh veggies (kale, cabbage, celery, carrot, endive, iceberg, romaine green onion, parsley herbs, any root veggie and any other raw veggie) and use raw nuts. Rinse and make sure the veggies are very dry, then chop it all up. I will usually keep half the combined chop mixture in a sealed container and the other half to be eaten first. I make about three days worth of chopped salad. If the veggies are dry before you chop, it prevents that icky watery texture from developing. Having this ample amount on hand makes it easy to grab if I feel like binging. If I do binge on the salad it is not as hard on my system. Adding the nuts or another source of protein (chai seeds, flax, psyllium and/or cheeses) and fruit keep me from getting bored with the same old salad. I even mix bbq sauce with sour cream for a southwestern flare. I mostly try to make dressing using olive oil, mustard, spices and a variety of flavored vinegars. But, keeping several organic dressing in the fridge can be handy.

I do not self medicate and follow all my Drs instructions and have discussed the following with her.

As part of cleansing, re-oxygenating and nutritionally supporting my body at a cellular level and to aid in the cleansing of accumulated toxicity from all the wrong meds, I picked up a product called Cell Food by Nu Science Corp, 8 drops in water or juice a couple times a day. Many athletes use this for endurance and it can also be used as a cleanse. However, I try not to put too much stress on my system with rapid elimination. I also use an anti-stress formula called Calm by Natural Vitals. Yes, it does reduce anxiety (for me). No, it does not remove the agoraphobia, social anxiety, hypervigilence and paranoia that are still symptomatic within my disorder. But, I do suffer from the usual bowel problems of a person with PTSD, I find this product has helped in calming the bowel elimination without a huge surge of pain in the process. I am simply seeking healthier ways to strengthen my body after years of no to low muscle activity. I am not trying to advertise these products, just have found them to be useful to me as a PTSD survivor and only after discussing them with a doctor.

This is only a start and not a perfect diet. I feel empowered and not so alone with this process by everything you have all written on this Thread. I will let you know what has worked for me, the drawbacks or continued benefits. Thanks for starting this post. It helps me a lot.

I would be interested to know any good kale recipes.

I want to lose weight and manage my eating so I don't comfort eat so much.

I also want to stop eating wheat and go on soya milk instead of cow juice.

Because of reflux last year I want to eat a low-fodmap diet.

Last edited:
For me is will have to be salt, sugar and caffeine. I have already started by reducing salt as I no longer have extra salt, have dropped down to one sugar in coffee and now enjoy fruit tea (non-caffeine) when I wake and no caffeine after 6 pm so I am not on edge when I try and sleep.

Good Thread @Solara thank-you this has given me more of an incentive to actually stick to this now.

I've spent the past 2 years improving my diet.,...forced because of pregnancy and then by choice as I'm breastfeeding.

I've dropped nearly all refined foods and sugars, nearly all dairy except cheese, eat craploads of fruit, veg, wholemeal, brown rice, fruit leather etc. I use a lot of fruit puree and chia for snacks, coconut cream and soy products too. In conjunction with Healthy Mummy smoothies, I've dropped 43kg and am 9kg less than pre birth weight

The upside of the exercise is that I can finally sleep without medications, so I'm not willing to let that go.
This is a brilliant result! I was there with that too, but lost my way, became overwhelmed. This thread is inspiring.

In the past I have had mainly lower carb days and then an occasional carb-up day and my body does well with that.
So what are you eating on your lower carb days? What are you eating on your carb up days, if you want to discuss that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back