1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Nice To Find a Place Like This - Physically and Emotionally Abused

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sparta21, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparta21

sparta21 Member

Hi. My name is Jeff, and I live in Chicago. I'm 43. I was physically, verbally, and emotionally abused by my parents and step father from birth until I was around 23. The last 20 years have been filled with depression, anxiety, binge drinking and self-hatred. I've been in therapy now for about a year with a great woman who is openning my eyes to the fact the abuse was not my fault. It is helpful for me to know I have chronic PTSD. It is also sad that it has taken the physciatric community so long to recognize this issue. The amount of self-hatred I experience is at times indescribable. I have put myself in horribly dangerous sexual situations, abused prescription drugs, and even self mutilated. My depression feels like an overall pain throughout my body. Antidepressants do not work for me, and have sickening side effects. Therapy is helping, and I've recently made friends with a truly beautiful and wonderful young lady who has some of the same issues as me. Talking to her is a delight and helpful. So I'm hopeful. At least today. Nice to have found this site too. Helpful to read there are others like me out there. So hi:hello: .

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. Mate, there is no shortage of those suffering PTSD, so please jump in here, the more you put in often means the more you get out. Help yourself, that is what is the most important thing at your stage of healing... and excellent to hear you have someone who can directly understand and provide you personal support.

4. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Hello & Welcome!

Hi Jeff, :hello: (sparta) I'm glad you found this forum and Welcome. Much familiarity for me, with what you've written in you intro.

Hoping you'll hang onto your optimism, and won't let it slip too far away or for too long. Hoping you'll continue putting forth all your efforts to continue in progressively healing, through it all and everything and no matter what. Bless you. And, wishing you the best.

You've found a great forum.

Hope

5. cactus_jack

cactus_jack Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Jeff!

6. sparta21

sparta21 Member

Thanks for the welcomes. Trying to hold on to the optimism, but it isn't easy. Sure as you all know, some days are very dark. I'll keep in touch.

7. Pitt Bull

Pitt Bull Member

Welcome aboard Jeff! I too can understand what you have gone through since my teenage years into my twenties were filled with abuse, self hatred, and major depression. I masked it well until a year ago and since then have also began to heal with counseling. My advise is to read as many post as you can to self educate on PTSD and pitch in your advise if possible. I am still working on that for myself. Again welcome to the forum.

8. sparta21

sparta21 Member

Thanks. There is something comforting hearing from and about others. Still feel like crud alot, and I isolate way too much, but this is helpful.

9. janis362529

janis362529 New Member

Hellos and welcome I myself and just starting up with everything and instead of dealing with just an event now me and a team of doctors will be dealing with everything

10. ASterling

ASterling Member

Hi Jeff - I am new here too. I wish you the very best. I am glad you are getting help right now too. I don't know very much about this yet, but I look forward to learning more and getting better myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar