1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Nightmares caused/worsened by physical states (sore muscles)?

Discussion in 'Sleep & Nightmares' started by antidiluvian, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:40 PM.

1. antidiluvian

antidiluvian New Member

Does anyone else find that the occurrence of nightmares is directly influenced by how their body is? I find I am guaranteed to have nightmares on nights when I go to sleep with sore muscles or otherwise have had a strenuous day. I ask my psych about this and they said they had never heard of it :(

So am curious if anyone else gets nightmares from body states, being sick, etc.

littleoc and Esterio like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Pauline

Pauline Member

I don't know if this is similar thing to you I just read your post but I sometimes get nightmares or sleep disturbance when my whole body feels like it is in pain it's not physical pain exactly but it's like my body just wants to crawl up into a ball under the covers until it stops it's not exactly emotional pain either but it aches all over and it's disturbing because I have to wait for it to go I'm leaving it down to body memory pain ( think I made that up even though my mind has no idea what it's about)
    Not sure if that is helpful but just to let you know that you are not alone X

Esterio likes this.
  4. littleoc

littleoc Active Member Donated

Yes, but it depends on the type of pain I'm in.

If I've worked hard, but feel dead inside or was injured badly? Yeah, nightmares.

If I did a lot of work or had a very busy day, and feel rewarded or happy to be in a nice bed? I could have a nightmare, but it's not guaranteed one way or the other.

If the weather turns cold and it makes my previous injuries ache? Yes, definitely will have a nightmare.

If my knees hurt, lock, and prevent me from getting comfortable? Definitely more likely to have a nightmare.

Most importantly, if the pressure lowers quickly and its early spring? Guaranteed nightmares about tornadoes, no questions asked. If I get to sleep at all, that is.

Based on just that (I'm only one person), I'd guess that something about your sore body IS triggering you. In that sense, it's not abnormal at all. Maybe it would be worth exploring why it's getting to your dreams?

I hope you aren't sore often :)

5. NoWhereKnowWhere

NoWhereKnowWhere There is a light and it never goes out. Donated

For me it’s really a chicken and egg situation. Am I sore because I’m more symptomatic this I get more nightmares. Or am I sore from the nightmares because I’ve been tense the whole night. Or is the sore muscles from general over doing it cause the nightmares. I’m still not sure but I think it might be a bit of all of it.

I also tend to over do it and trash my body physically when I’m not doing well because if your really working your body then there’s not much room for other thoughts and sensations and things.

littleoc likes this.
  6. littleoc

littleoc Active Member Donated

A vicious cycle -- that's what a lot of PTSD is :/

Show Sidebar