• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

No Memory Of Trauma Itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted

Not Active
Hi guys!

This is my first thread and I'm slight nervous so bear with me :-)

Right now I'm working with a really good therapist who I like a lot and both he and I really want to progress to the point of me talking about the "event" that started it all but I guess I'm just really scared at the same time. I think a large part of it is that I'm afraid he won't believe me. The thing is that I remember what happened before and some of what happened after but the actual event itself I cant remember. I know how I felt during it, I know what triggers it, I know what kind of event it was I just can't remember the thing itself and it's incredibly scary and frustrating. I'll have what I guess you could call nightmares where I'm lost somewhere and just feel overwhelmed by panic and fear-feelings almost identical to the feelings I associate with what happened but I won't see any real life images like a lot of people do when having nightmares after trauma. The things that trigger my panic and that kind of thing are obvious indicators of the type of trauma it was I just wish I knew exactly what happened. I guess I'm just afraid of opening up and having him not believe me because I feel like not remembering this kind of thing just doesn't happen.

I have the exact same experience with one memory. Right before and way after and then a total gap for who knows how long. That is the beginning of realizing that I was a very bad person and felt so alone and ashamed. i was so dissociative afterwards as well. It has always puzzled me and I so wanted to remember but I think it is burned out of my consciousness forever. Nothing I tried could retrieve what really happened. I empathize with you greatly. Many hugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back