• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Non-denominational Hearts Feel Free To Gather Here........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tornadic Thoughts

MyPTSD Pro
I wanted to start a thread that feels like a safe space for folks who may feel quite spiritual but aren't bound to a specific religion, if any at all, for whatever reasons. I often struggle with delivering what's on my heart and I hope I don't make this post sound disrespectful to anyone who may feel differently in any way, as that is certainly not my intent.

I have to admit that religion in any form is quite triggering to me on many levels, as I experienced many disheartening moments behind the perceived pristine walls of organized religion and at the hands of those who strongly believe(d) and preach(ed) it. I'm not saying all folks who believe those things are the same, by any means, just openly sharing what prompted me to want to create this space.

I no longer follow doctrines or hang with those who strongly feel I should. "Shouldness" no longer has a reserved seat at my table, as all it does is create even more self-doubt and self-loathing for continually reminding me of yet another external expectation I couldn't meet, just like I felt when I was a child, and later when I attempted to go on my own in a desperate search for kind genuine and loving acceptance in those pre-scripted scenes.

I now religiously follow my heart and listen to my intuition as I've always been naturally led to do, although most adults and authoritative figures in my life squashed the shit out of that notion early on and labeled it as many negative/hellish things instead, and often still like to when I share my thoughts in certain arenas. Whenever I don't listen to my gut, I find myself looking back and saying, "I knew it. Why the hell didn't I listen to myself?"

I painfully, and finally, learn(ed) that unconditional self-love and purposely and healthily nurturing this meat coated skeleton that I currently reside in, as it was meant to be (the real temple, as I view it) are my most sustainable and effective methods of self-care.

By actively partaking in those proven methods each day, it ends up benefiting and energizing me greatly, which in turns help me contribute more healthily to the whole, and my love cup stays more consistently full. Win/win. Nature, love, music, movement, and breath are the things that fuel and sustain my life force and allow me to pay it forward. Would love to hear from others. Thanks for reading.

I wanted to start a thread that feels like a safe space for folks who may feel quite spiritua...
Meat coated skeleton? Ok, that is the first I heard of that one, original, gotta give you that. But yes, I am exactly in the same place than you, caring does not need religion, doing the right thing is not dependent on the law either.
I am very very spiritual, extremely spiritual but not in a religious way, always confused that spiritual is assumed to be synonymous with religion. There are many spiritual experiences in our life, and in nature such spiritual experiences are bountiful.
Great idea of yours, let us all nurture this beautiful spirituality.

Meat coated skeleton? Ok, that is the first I heard of that one, original, gotta give you that....

Hahaha!! I don't remember where I first saw the meat coated skeleton reference to properly give credit, but I loved it and it stuck. lol Your post reminds me of something one of our local farmers said in a book he wrote about everything he was wanting to do is illegal - "We expect too much salvation through legislation." Hahahahaha! Yup. And then some, it seems.

What's up with that 'the laws are nonsense & so break them it's so rebelious' thing going around lately on...

I hadn't noticed that theme happening, but maybe I'm just not reading enough threads? The book I was speaking of was referring specifically to various farming practices. He figured many creative ways around them, and that pissed the powers that be off even more, but what a great help he's become to many others who met the same roadblocks and such. Each one reach one teach one, regardless of the path.

My experiences as a recovering state employee taught me that following all the policies and procedures could backfire just as severely, if not worse than creatively choosing to break them. No holds barred when you have something on them and they don't wish it to be known, or if you dare question the ethics of their practices. Damned if you do, damned if you don't was my direct and painful experience in that arena, and many others. It makes for endless opportunities for some twisted entertainment once you reach a space of simply observing rather than being actively immersed. But until then, ouch!

Much of my traumatic pain in life was brought about by rule makers and strict rule book followers, or those who liked to put on the appearance/mask of being such, at least. At what point does a perceived rule follower become a rule breaker when the recipient of their blatant rule breaking is too scared to even speak of it, much less ever address it head on? I imagine that's the cause of the "rule breaker" streak I have flowing through my veins, and I'm sure I'm in good company for many equally good reasons. I tend to mindfully honor the laws of nature but very often question a large majority of the laws of man. I try to do so in a helpful thought engaging or productive manner more so than just endlessly griping, but some days I fail.

I know it sounds funny but I like to go to church sometimes with a friend but I don’t consider myself religious. I am also an AA member but that is more about spirituality and not about religion.

I once thought that I would be religious but I always put off by certain figures and the idea of worshiping them. I feel that a lot of the sermons are about commonsense in dealing with one another in our lives.

This definitely goes in a big way into bolstering my own spirituality of course I love helping people too but it is not always reciprocated and some people are ungrateful and so an aire of spirituality in me is maintained by going to church and attending meetings.

This is all kind of recent to me though. I spent much of my life being selfish and only thinking of myself ultimately. And while that might be okay to some people it seriously wasn’t with me, as I was very unhappy with my life. There had to be a reason why.

There must’ve been something more important than myself.

At the same time I seem to shun the idea of organized religion even though I attend church sometimes it seems contradictory but what I am doing is just getting out of it what I want. Which is a sense of happiness from attending in hearing the guy speak.

What really got me was when the founder of the church showed up and starting spouting off nonsense about intolerance towards the lgbt community and people who are just different than what he accepted as normal. The founder seems old-world and not really how many of us at the church even think. However he is not the one who normally speaks anyway.

I found this to be distasteful as he explained that he turned down money from Google who would only honor a donation towards his church if he agreed to not discriminate in his hiring practices in the name of equality. As I turned to the person next to me and questioned what was being said I was also appalled that the person next to me agreed with the founders sermon.

My dad came out shortly after I was born realizing he had contracted HIV. If he had decided to be religious and some point I would think that he would’ve been conflicted and let down by the fact that the community in the church would not except him unless he “changed”, I find that unacceptable. As if he ever had control over that. That whole part of the church I believe it is flawed and outdated. These idiots actually believed that my dad, a gay man, is in hell on earth for being gay.

May he rest in peace.

I believe I will be finding a new source of inspiration and getting in touch with my own spirituality someplace else. The AA meetings are a great place. We tend to talk about how screwed up life can be but we also talked about how great it can be and how we can help others that seems pretty good to me.

I know sometimes in AA we talk about “god “but what we are really talking about is the idea that something is greater than ourselves which is whatever we want that to be as long as it’s not “you” To me it’s an idea. A reminder that we are not alone and are not the greatest, to be selfless and in doing so, helping ourselves.

My journey through life is not without change. All my life I have been learning, growing, and changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back