1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Not To Sure About This... Car Accident

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Pink, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink

Pink New Member

I have not been diagnosed with PTSD but wrote a paper about in my psychology class and I seem to fit all the symptoms... So I'm not too sure!

April 2005 my best friend and I were traveling on our way to our respective homes to get ready to go out for the evening whenever she ran off the road and crashed into a ditch causing her car to flip several times and she was thrown out the back windshield. All I could do was watch and the feeling of helplessness was almost too much to bear. For awhile I had recurring nightmares about the accident and seeing it over and over again. I stayed in a constant daze for a few months. After about a year the nightmares and flashbacks began to decrease and things were slowly returning to normal.

July 2006 my boyfriend of over a year were visiting my family at the lake for the fourth of july. After a little too much to drink he decided to dive off the dock into about four feet of shallow water... he shattered his C7 veterbrae and is completely paralysed from the nipple line down. After the 24 stay in the hospital that night, I went home to try and get some sleep and the nightmares, flashbacks, and guilt returned with full force throughout his stay in the hospital which was for about four months. He is home now and this new adjustment has been hell!

I've gotten to were I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack at any given moment. I'm run down, tired, anxious, and feel as if I'm losing all control over my sanity.

I went to my regular doctor and she told me to go see a psychiatrist or psychologist (which is ironically what I'm going to college for) but as of January I have no insurance nor can I afford to pay a doctor being a college student.

Someone help me.... I really feel like I'm going crazy and no one else understands...

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Well, we certainly can understand. I think you can find a lot of support here and welcome to the board. You will be a very valuable doctor one day being able to understand it from the point of view you have. Just pick a spot to vent or ask questions and start. Welcome to the forum.

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi pink, welcome to the forum. A starter that could help you, is to use the [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/forms/ptsd-diagnosis/"]PTSD Diagnosis[/DLMURL] for an approximate answer. Tell me what you get, as that will certainly help you distinguish whether you are a candidate for PTSD or whether something lesser is present.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Pink. You might check with the university you go to. Some psyc. programs take on case studies. It's embarrasing (BTDT) but if you can swing it, it would be worth it to you.

6. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Welcome!

My suggestion to you Pink is you continue to actively seek some way of finding out whether you have this condition or not. Follow through with finding out no matter how many obstacles you find in your path. Not wise to set this matter aside. Nor am I suggesting that you would. Just reinforcing the risk of doing so.

I wish I knew what to suggest on how to go about doing this but I don't. Personally, I have anger and issue galore around the 'No Proper Insurance / (money), No Help.' What I do know though, is that the sooner the conclusion and conviction the more suited you're to finding yourself real help.

It's far to common, for my comfort, for people with this condition, to somehow exist with untreated PTSD, only to progressively get worse. I do hope something gives for you and you find out one way or the other, bc I care and once you have it, it must be dealt with, in order to hault the progression of it's course and to live.

Hope you don't get too, too busy with anything or anyone else, until you find out whether or not you have this, and if so, or not, what you can do next to help yourself. Welcome to the forum, Pink!

7. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

welcome to the forum, pink. the insurance thing stinks! keep trying, and look around here in the mean time.
    cathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar