• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Numbing and avoidance. why do you do it and how does it feel to you?

• Thread starter Deleted member 32956
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 32956

I'm still trying to figure out my diagnosis and how it has affected my life in the past and now. Numbing and avoidance. Why do you do it? How do you feel before and after? How does it affect your life?

I need more information and sorry that you have PTSD, but those are good questions to ask yourself as you begin your journey of recovery and healing. Try to start there and then come back here to have a discussion, just my thoughts.

I don't know why I do it (the numbness part). I don't even think it is a choice. I feel very little... I am vaguely aware of fear/anxiety and possibly a bit of paranoia but I can't tell you the last time I was happy. Something amazing happened at work recently, a culmination of almost a year of hard work, but I totally faked feeling happy and a bit proud. My head knew I should feel it but the rest of me felt nothing. Right now I am sensitive to touch, sound, light and certain smells. I can't tolerate background noise and currently the light in my room, which is on, is making feel very angry because it's too bright and hurts. I know I am distant and disengaged from my husband and family and I also don't seek out my friends. I don't know what to talk to them about and I feel like after getting through the day I just want to be in bed. It's pretty rubbish I guess, for me and those around me. Avoidance is a weird one for me. I don't think it's just ptsd related. It's something to talk to my T about but he talks a lot, I say very little and I don't know what words to use anyway. I suppose I'm lost at sea right now. It may be really different for you though. No two stories are the same. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back